Chandeliers can cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Here is how to turn the chandelier you have into the chandelier that you love.
- If you don’t have a chandelier check local thrift stores & garage sales. You’ll want an electrician or someone who knows about wiring to give it the once over. Ignore the finish, instead look for lines.
- Take any crystals off the light fixture. See if there are any removable parts that you don’t like.
- Paint it. Use a white spray paint. Get rid of that awful brass. You can even use a colorful spray paint like yellow or pink.
- Distress it. Use some sand paper, or another layer of paint to give it that distressed quality.
- Decorate it. Hang pieces of broken china, or jewelry from the chandelier. The best part about this style is that you can use whatever you already have. Raid your jewelry box & junk drawer. Nothing has to match. Use whatever makes you happy. Buy different colors of crystals or different shapes of beads.
- Shabby Chic chandeliers often have shades. You can decoupage what you already have, or cover them in fabric. Use a floral or plaid pattern. You can often find cheap lamp shades at the dollar store. Sew a decorative cord cover to hide the chain hanging from the ceiling.
- Hang your chandelier back up. You can either go all out shabby chic, or use the chandelier as that one funky, mismatching piece in your room.