Lock jaw or limited jaw movement is often a result of a bad-bite. If the bite is not aligned correctly, it causes problem in the jaw joint the, TMJ (timporomandibular joint). When the teeth, facial, muscles, and temporomandibular joints are out of alignment, the symptoms of what have been identified as TJM (timporomandibulary joint). The jaw joint and muscles become locked. Chewing is difficult, headaches develop, and opening and closing the jaw can be painful. Causes may include clenching teeth during sleep, arthritis, stress, and injury to the jaw. Here are some natural remedies.
1. A person with a locked jaw must move the jaw to one side or the other in order to open the mouth wide and might also have to open the mouth until a popping sound is heard and felt, at which point the jaw unlocks.
2. Sleeping on your side is to be avoided since this position worsens TMJ syndrome. One should sleep on their back since this will prevent worsening the TMJ syndrome.
3. Eating softer foods will lessen the pressure and discomfort in the jaw when you chew. Kinds of foods to consider are whole grain, skinless poultry, fish, fresh fruits, steamed veggies, onions, garlic, pineapple, brown rice and eggs. These foods can help rebuild cartilage and reduce inflammation.
4. Herbs can help relieve stress such as passionflower, valerian. Catnip, kava kava, netle and chamomile. Before using any herb , knowing its drug interaction must be checked.
5. To relieve pain, hold a heat pack to the area of your jaw that is affected.
6. To relieve stress and pain, try deep breathing exercises and other relaxation techniques are important.
7. Consult the doctor if you think you have TMJ syndrome. The doctor will perform an arthrography, a diagnostic test, to see whether you have TMJ syndrome and to treat it correctly.