Many other pudding type desserts made with tropical fruits, nuts, wine, and spices are popular. For American taste, one might prefer to serve a fresh fruit platter as the finale to spice Mexican foods.
There are a number of fancy seet yeast breads which are traditionally baked for special religious days. Often these aslso contain fruts and or nuts. Cinnamon is the most popularly usd spice, and may appear in desserts, brads, cookies, and snacks.
I myself have been in south Miami and flan is served everywhere. It is a delicious dessert, especially when it is carmelized on top.
Things You’ll Need:
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup shredded or flaked coconut
- Caramel Topping
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
1. For caramel topping, heat sugar and water in a small skillet, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and turn golden brown.
2. Pour syrup into a 1 quart baking dish or 6 custard cups, tipping to coat bottom and part way up sides. Set dish aside while preparing custard.
3. For custard, scald milk. Beat eggs; beat in sugar , salt, and vanilla extract. Gradually beat scalded milk into egg mixture. Strain into prepared baking dish or custard cups. Sprinkle top with coconut.
4. Place baking dish in pan containing hot water which comes a least 1 inch up sides of dish.
5. Bake at 325 degrees about 45 minutes for individual custard cup, or 1 hour for baking dish.