You may have thought you were out of the woods with education once you earned your college degree and that the rest was smooth sailing from there. However, in order to retain a competitive edge and evolve with the constantly changing job market, it is essential to continue developing your skills through continuing education opportunities. Whether it is attaining your master’s degree or specialized certifications, taking the extra step of obtaining more knowledge about your career field will make you more desirable to your current and future employers. Here is a list of benefits that arise from continuing education and how it will help boost your personal brand:
- Increased Income Potential: Nobody complains when they receive a raise and so by furthering your education you better your chances for a salary bump. The more knowledge and capabilities you possess, the more you increase your value as an employee.
- Career Advancement: So you have put in long hours and have tried everything you could think of to get that next promotion but still keep getting passed over. The one thing holding you back could be a certification, extra classes, or degree that shows you are ready to go to the next level. By broadening your skillset through further education, you add to the reasons why you should receive the next promotion.
- Preparation for Career Transition: Some studies say that the average person changes careers 5-7 times in their professional life and it is very rare anymore for people to stay in the same career their whole lifetime. When you have lost excitement with your current career and start planning to transition into a fresh new career, continuing education is the best way to prepare yourself and make you competitive in the new field.
- Job and Personal Satisfaction: Sometimes it feels like the rigor of your day-to-day job has made you complacent and unenthusiastic. By attending classes, you can develop a fresh perspective on your current job and bring new ideas to reinvigorate your passion on the job. Continuing education will also boost your self-esteem knowing that you have completed another milestone in your professional life.
- Networking Opportunities: The other people in your continuing education classes are attending for the same purpose as you are, showing they also possess a drive and commitment to their careers. Therefore, your classmates can become potential business contacts and boost your network which can bring further opportunities and connections throughout your career.
The benefits of continuing your education don’t just end at the ones I have mentioned above and organizations like the National Association of Distinguished Professionals can provide assistance and information if you are having difficulty starting the journey. If you have the drive and commitment on continuing to advance your career and personal brand, continuing education is a great start and will boost your value in the eyes of employers.