Do you want to speed up fracture healing time? Well, recent research suggests the fracture healing is delayed by smoking. In one recent research study it showed that fracture healing can be up to 6 weeks delayed in smokers compared to non-smokers. For athletes, this is a significant amount of time to be off when trying to get back to their daily activity. Stop smoking and speed up your fracture healing time with these steps:
1. Make a Plan to Stop Smoking: A plan is critical so that you have a goal and a way to achieve it. Make a committment to yourself to stop smoking. Fracture healing can easily be sped up by stopping smoking.
2. Get Help: Talk to a physician about quitting smoking and your concerns about fracture healing. He/she would be more than willing to help.
3. Stay Active: Activity will help keep your mind off smoking as well as speed up your fracture healing.
4. Eat Healthy: Eating healthy has been shown to promote fracture healing as well as contribute to your overall general mental health which can help stop those smoking cravings.
5. Drink Water, A Lot: Drinking water has so many benefits. It can suppress appetite and help you lose weight as well as its a big component of your blood. Blood flow helps fracture healing.
6. Just Do It: As Nike’;s slogan use to say, just do it. Just stop smoking – smoking is very hazardous to your health and can hurt your fracture healing progress. Stop smoking today and see results tomorrow with fracture healing time.
Be consistent and make a plan to stop smoking. There are lots of resources available to help you quit smoking with a doctor being a great resource. But, none of that is going to work unless you are committed to the cause. Just remember how important your daily life is and how much the fracture hinders you. So, stop smoking today!
There are all kinds of resources to help you quit smoking. Nicotine patches, self-help books, drugs, etc. But, you have to be committed. Write out a plan on paper to what steps you are going to take to stop smoking. If your goal is to help your fracture heal quickly than make that your number 1 priority and circle it. Now, write the steps your going to take in order to achieve that goal underneath it.
Never give up. There are millions of people that have sustained a fracture and healed it. You can be one of them. But, look at smoking as a huge barrier to that healing and take steps to quit. If your fracture does not heal properly than it can seriously hinder your daily life and activities for the remainder of your life. Quitting smoking has more benefits than just promoting fracture healing. There are many benefits to quitting smoking. But, to most athletes their sport is their number 1 priority and without being able to exercise because of their fracture their lives are semi-depressed. Getting back and healing the fracture is the most important thing to them. Realize you can quit smoking and be consistent…you can do it. Stop smoking today and see huge results in your fracture healing.