Eight facts revealed by The Earth Institute about the water world. One is the accumulation of water use in the three most populous country on Earth.
The Earth Institute at Columbia University provides some facts about water and food on Earth. Here are the facts presented by The Earth Institute.
1. If accumulated, the use of water in India, China, and the United States is one-third of the total water in the world.
2. More than 90 percent of water use is for agriculture and plantations. However, only 16 percent of the land that has been irrigated from the many uses of water for agriculture.
3. 16 percent of the irrigated land produces 36 percent of food.
4. Extraction of ground water has tripled in just five years. Groundwater consumption in China and India has increased tenfold since 1950.
5. The use of groundwater is so great to contribute to sea level rise as much as 25 percent in recent years.
6. According to research published in Climate Dynamics, groundwater use is also changing the local climate and accelerate global warming.
7. According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), in 2030 almost half of the human population that there will be shortage of water.
8. Water crisis will threaten the survival of a power plant in the world. Water crisis caused by high demand will make the power plant is not working