- Sushi Rice, see recipe
- 3 sheets nori seaweed
- Wasabi paste
- Cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 ounces salmon roe
- 8 medium prawns
- Omelet Strip, recipe follows
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Toast the nori sheets by holding directly over a medium low flame and passing it back and forth quickly till slightly crispy.
- Place a nori sheet on a bamboo rolling mat about 1/2 inch from end of mat facing you.
- Spread a small amount of wasabi paste over the nori. Wet hands and spread rice on the nori in a layer about 1/2 inch thick leaving a 1/2 inch border at the near and far end.
- Make a long indentation along the centre of the rice and lay some filling in the trench.
- Roll the mat tightly away from you making sure that the mat stays on top of the roll and doesn’t get rolled into it.
- Cut the roll crosswise with a sharp damp knife and serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger and a small amount of wasabi paste on the side.
- Omelet Strip:
- Mix 1 egg,1/2 teaspoon. sugar,a pinch of salt lightly with a fork. Oil a frying pan, heat and add egg mixture. Tilt to spread the egg thinly and cook till set. Remove to a plate and let set. Roll up and cut into 1/4 inch wide strips.