Such conditions require organizations to conduct training on worker’s career, which must be implemented in a planned and sustainable. In other words, career coaching is one of human resource management activities., Should be implemented as a formal activity undertaken in an integrated manner with other HR activities.
From the description above mean coaching career can not be released to do with human resource planning, recruitment, and selection in the context of staffing (staffing). Of human resource management activities, must obtain a number of potential workers with the best quality. That’s the kind of labor should be given the opportunity to develop his career, so his ability to continue to increase in accordance with the demands of the business environment, not only able to maintain the organization’s existence, but also able to develop and advance.
B. Definition of Career Development
The following will be presented some understanding of career development.
1) Development of a career is a series (sequence) position or a position occupied by a person during his lifetime. Definition of position / office worker in the person of an organization, as part of a series of position / positions occupied during the period of his life. The position was in place during his life, from the beginning into an organization / company, until now stopped, either because of retirement or quit / dismissed or by death.
2) Career development is a change in values, attitudes, and motivation that occur in a person, because with the addition / enhancement will be more mature age. From this sense, the focus of career development is the increased ability of metal, which occurs as you age. Mental development that can also last for a person working in an organization, which is manifested through the implementation of the work that their main duty.
3) The work career is the work done in formal and continuing with a focus on improving the capabilities and the addition of a worker.
4) Career development is the individual increases a person to achieve a career plan.
5) Career development is a condition that indicates a person’s status increases within an organization.
C. Objectives and responsibilities of career development
Career development as a human resource management activities are basically aimed to improve and enhance the effectiveness of the work by the work by the worker, that the more able to contribute the best in realizing the organization’s business objectives.
In terms of responsibility, career development can be divided into two approaches:
1) With the traditional approach
– Career development plan drawn up and finalized by the organization / company unilaterally.
– Implementation of career development depends entirely on the organization.
– Control the career development conducted strictly by the organization
– Career development is defined and implemented through promotional activities to the level / higher positions.
2) With the new approach
– Career development should be accepted not just mean promotion to the post / position higher. Here, career development is the motivation to advance in the work environment in an organization,
– Successful careers mentioned above means a worker making progress in the work, a sense of satisfaction in one or each position / positions that are trusted by the organization. Because it can be carried out effectively and efficiently.
– Success in developing a meaningful career progress in the work, is to increase knowledge and skills / expertise, to become more accomplished / productive as workers competitive.
– Workers should be aware that to make progress in the work is his own responsibility. In other words, developing a career in the hands of individual workers, who require the ability to manage (management) themselves.
Of the two approaches as mentioned above, the traditional pedekatan has drawbacks:
1) Development of effective career did not take place
2) The company is difficult to excel in a competitive business environment.
D. Career development
Individual career development
The starting point of self-initiated career development of employees. Each person is responsible for the development or career advancement. Having made a personal commitment, a career development activities can be done. These activities include:
1) Performance of work
The most important activities to advance the career is a good work performance, because it underpins all other career development activities are very tergantungpada career advancement achievements.
Career advancement is also determined by the exposure. Exposure is to be known by those who decide promotions, transfers and other career opportunities. Without exposure, employees who do well may not get the opportunity to achieve career goals. From managers gain exposure primarily through performance, written reports, oral presentations, committee work, community service, and even the long hours they worked.
3) The request to stop
When an employee is to see greater career opportunities elsewhere, the demand to stop may be a way to achieve career goals. Many employees, especially the professional manager to move the company as their career strategy. When it is done effectively, they usually get promotions, raises, and new experiences. stop request to continue his career and his new pengelaman. request to continue a career in the company to stop others often called leveraging. Like anywhere else, if the technique is too often will harm employees digunakn own.
4) organizational loyalty
In many organizations, the people putting career advancement depends on organizational loyalty. Low organizational loyalty to the new graduates themselves (who have high expectations, so often disappointed with their first company) and professionals (who first loyalty is to their profession). Long-term dedication to the same companies will lower the level of labor turnover.
5) Mentors and sponsors
a mentor is a person who offers informal career guidance. Employee or a mentor in many companies realize that there is a relationship between merka and useful for career development. When the mentor may nominate employees for career development activities, such as training programs, transfer, or promotion then he sponsors. A sponsor is a person in an organization that can create career development opportunities for others. Often sponsor employee is the direct supervisor.
6) The opportunities to grow.
When employees improve skills, eg through training programs, taking additional courses or degrees, it means they take the opportunity to grow. This is useful for both the personnel department in the development of human resources for the achievement of internal and employee career plans.