When it comes to making southern pecan pies, no one made them better than my grandma! Luckily, she passed on the secrets of her pecan pies to me
You Will Need
1 Pie crust
1/2 Cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 Cup white syrup, less 2 Tbsp
2 Tbsp sorgham or blackstrap molasses
Pinch of salt
1 Tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 Cup broken pecans
1. Cheat. Use a pre-made crust. Even my mother and grandmother cheated, so I’m giving myself, and you, permission to use a pre-made crust. Making great pastry crusts is an art unto itself, and we’ll save that for another day. I prefer the kind comes rolled up, as opposed to the frozen, pre-shaped ones.
2. The crust must be room temperature and pliable.
3. Gently press the crust into the pie plate, ensuring that there are no air bubbles or holes. If there are any holes or cracks in the crust, they must be repaired (i.e. squish the edges together to form a seal). DO NOT pre-bake the crust or pierce it in any way.
4. When the pie bakes, the crust will shrink a bit, so leave about 1/8-1/4 inch extra crust around the outer rim of the pie plate.
5. If you like, you can make the edges of the crust pretty by pinching it all around the rim with your fingers.
1. Mix together all the dry ingredients, except for the pecans.
2. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk together the liquid ingredients. CAUTION: The butter must be warm enough to be melted, but not hot enough to cook the eggs on contact. A good rule of thumb is to have it liquid, but cool enough that you can touch it without burning yourself.
3. Gently whisk together the wet and dry ingredients.
4. Stir the pecans into the mixture.
5. Pour the pie filling into the crust.
Baking the Pecan Pie
1. Pecan pies must be baked slowly. Place the pie in an oven pre-heated to 275 degrees, and bake for 1 hour.
2. Check on the pie after an hour. It should be soft, but no longer liquid in the center (about the consistency of Jello). It should also be crispy brown on top and around the edges. Pecan pies will firm up a bit as they cool.
3. Cool the pie, and serve with whipped cream.