Yes, there are a number of the looming threat of cyber-gamers. Some popular ones include:
A. Phishing: The site featured a fake game play with a face that has a resemblance to the original game or page URL. A gamer who is not aware of not only the chance of infection, but also could lose personal data which again may result in financial loss.
2. Social networking: Many of the accounts and fake Facebook page circulated and made to commit a crime. Worse yet, each stating that they are the original producer of games that are circulating on Facebook. Therefore, never give or enter personal data that is confidential to the accounts.
3. Games that have been infected and pirated software: user or gamer potentially infected with a virus because it uses a fake computer game software or the crack. The game lovers are encouraged to be extra careful, especially on e-mail attachment submissions and removable media like USB flash disk.
4. Malware: These days, malware that attack your computer and online gamers the most widely spread is Win32/PSW.OnLineGames. This family of malware including Trojans are typically used to perform phishing attacks and targeted specifically to the online game players.
Malware is commonly arise with keylogging and (sometimes) rootkit to gather information related to online games and data belonging to the player. The information obtained will be sent to your computer or criminal attackers. Therefore, it is advisable for players in MMORPGs (Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Games) like Lineage and World of Warcraft to remain vigilant against potential threats to attack them.
“The loss of experienced online gamers as malware infiltration Win32/PSW.OnLineGames usually in the form of an online game is to lose points,” said Yudhi Strong (Technical Consultant PT. Prosperita-ESET Indonesia) in his press conference.
For that, ESET gives five tips for gamers to be protected from malware:
* Use different passwords for multiple accounts and make the password hard to guess.
* Type the URL or website you want online games directly in your browser or use bookmarks in your browser. That way, you’ll avoid the element of chance online game click on a link from a search engine that has been infected.
* Protect your data by creating a password protector, either on computer or in the cloud.
* Never use cracked software results because it could be a rogue software or malicious software.
* Always use an updated antivirus regularly and computer security solutions featuring Antispyware and Firewall. ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 provides Gamer Mode feature that can do the switching automatically to silent mode to conserve resources so that the user can better enjoy the game without being distracted.