Where can you find computers?
Computers are everywhere.
What is computer literacy?
If you are computer literate, you have knowledge and understanding of computers and their uses.
What is a computer?
An electronic machine, operating under the control of instructions stored in its own memory
- Accepts data
- Manipulates the data according to specified rules
- Produces results
- Stores the results for future use
What are data and information?
Data-collection of raw facts, figures and symbols.
Information-data that is organized, meaningful and useful.
Who is a user?
- Someone that communicates with a computer
- Someone who uses the information it generates
What are hardware and software?
Hardware– The electric, electronic, and mechanical equipment that makes up a computer.
Software– The series of instructions that tells the hardware how to perform tasks.
What are common computer hardware components?
Printer, speaker, pc camera, system unit, modem, mouse, digital camera, scanner, keyboard, microphone.
What is an input device?
Any hardware component that allows a user to enter data and instructions into a computer.
What is an output device?
Any hardware component that can convey information to a user.
What is the system unit?
- Sometimes called a chassis
- A box-like case made from metal or plastic that protects the internal electronic components of the computer from damage
- Circuitry in the system unit usually is part of or is connected to a circuit board called the motherboard
What are two main components on the motherboard?
Central Processing Unit (CPU)
- Also called a processor
- Electronic device that interprets and carries out the basic instructions that operate the computer
- Temporary holding place for data and instructions
What is storage?
Holds data, instructions, and information for future use.
- Physical material on which a computer keeps the data, instructions and information
- Records and retrieves items to and from a storage medium
- Devices often function as source of input because they transfer items from storage into memory
What is a network?
Two or more computers connected together via communications media and devices. The most widely known network is the Internet.
What is a computer program?
A series of instructions that tells the hardware of a computer what to do.
What is system software?
Programs that control the operations of the computer and its devices.
Operating System (OS)
Set of programs containing instructions that coordinate all the activities among computer hardware devices.
What is a graphical user interface (GUI)?
Allows you to interact with the software using visual images such as icons.
What is a command line interface (CLI)?
An interface to the Operating System where the user typically enters commands using the keyboard at the command line prompt.
What is application software?
Programs that perform specific tasks for users. E.g. word processing software, spreadsheet software, database software, and presentation graphics software.
What is networking?
Two or more devices that communicate each other and share resources.
What is the Internet?
The internet is a global network of networks. (or)
The world wide interconnected system of computer networks.
Why do users access the Internet?
- Meeting people
What is the World Wide Web (WWW)?
Billions of documents, called Web pages, that are linked together on computers throughout the world
- Collection of related web pages
- Contains text, graphics, sound, or video and has connections to other Web pages.
- Program used to access and view Web pages.
What is the digital divide?
Idea that you can separate people of the world into two distinct groups
- Those who have access to technology with the ability to use it
- Those who do not have access to technology or are without the ability to use it