Do’s and Don’ts for Mom
Mothers Day is just around the corner. It’s time to remember, thank Mom, and gather ideas for that gift-giving tribute.
Whether it’s wife, biological mom, step-mom, mother-in-law, even sister who’s a mom, there’s no reason to fear or delay what seems a daunting task each May.
A good starting point is to recall what you and/or the kids purchased or made for Mom last year. You don’t want to repeat a gift you’ve already given. Think hard or just look into Mom’s saved
Once you’ve established what NOT to give Mom again, begin brainstorming for fresh ideas (it’s never too soon)!
Ignore the television and radio commercials that tout the latest heart-shaped jewelry or diamond ring for Mom. These gifts should be considered a last resort, as they’re heavily commercialized and not the least bit original. (You don’t want Mom seeing the same exact necklace on half the other Mom’s in the neighborhood!)
Bear in mind that you DON’T have to spend a fortune to honor Mom. (This is why brainstorming early pays off!) A modest, thoughtful gift can be purchased within reason or even hand-made, which all moms absolutely love.
Now, let’s get to the DO’s and DON’TS of Mothers Day gift giving.
(NOTE: This is not a comprehensive list, but significantly covers popular ideas.)
- NO Cleaning Supplies (avoid anything that resembles or hints of housekeeping)
- NO Beauty Products or Appliances (may be perceived as indirect insults or hints to shape up that look)
- NO Stuffed Animals (stuffed toys are for kids; what is Mom to do with a dancing & singing gorilla?)
- NO Flowers (don’t get me wrong, flowers can be nice – but very unoriginal)
- NO Candy (like flowers, candy signifies poor planning – says “I’m desperate to get Mom “something”)
- Treat Mom to Dinner at Favorite Restaurant (better yet, a home-made dinner of her favorite cuisine!)
- Create a Personalized Keepsake(customized gifts are special & satisfy every budget)
- Mother’s Ring / Momentous Jewelry (anyone can buy a “MOM” bracelet – be original)
- Massage or Spa Gift Certificate (easy to obtain and graciously received)
- A “Mom Inspired Book” (heartfelt, a tribute to Mom, poetry, write your own?)
You’re now on your way to winning Mom’s heart and smiles on Mother’s Day!
Good Luck and Happy Mothers Day to all!