Certainly, we don’t want to live a long life – if it’s miserable or unhealthy life. We rather want to live a long but healthy and happy life. So if you want to live a healthy, happy and long life eat plenty of these foods.
According to reliable nutritionists and dietitians worldwide, here are the 10 healthiest foods in the world.
Believe it or not, this vegetable is one of the healthiest in the world. This vegetable that is native to central and southwestern Asia has a strong affinity with Popeye and he becomes physically stronger after consuming it. This is due to the iron content.
- Spinach is known as a rich source of iron and calcium.
- Spinach contain a relatively high level of iron, compared to other vegetable and meat sources
- Spinach also has high calcium content.
- The calcium in spinach is the least bio-available of calcium sources
- It is a rich source of several vital antioxidants
- Rubiscolins have also been found in spinach.
- It is a source of folic acid (Vitamin B9), and this vitamin was first purified from spinach
- Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, lutein, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, vitamin C, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, and vitamin B6.
- It is a very good source of dietary fiber, copper, protein, phosphorus, zinc and vitamin E.
- A 180 gram serving of boiled spinach contains 6.43 mg of iron, whereas one 6 oz. (170 gram) ground hamburger patty contains at most 4.42 mg.
- In addition, it is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, niacin and selenium
Broccoli is a plant of the cabbage family that contains many nutrients and vitamins that is why it is regarded as one of the healthiest foods. China and India is the 2 top producers of broccoli and cauliflower.
- Broccoli is high in vitamin C and soluble fiber
- It contains multiple nutrients with potent anti-cancer properties including diindolylmethane and selenium.
- A single serving provides more than 30 mg of vitamin C and a half-cup provides 52 mg of Vitamin C.
- The 3, 3′ Diindolylmetane found in broccoli is a potent modulator of the innate immune response system with anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-cancer activity.
- Broccoli also contains the compound glucorapanin, which can be processed into an anticancer compound sulforaphane.
- A high intake of broccoli has been found to reduce the risk of aggressive prostate cancer. Broccoli leaf is also edible and contains far more beta carotene than the florets.
- Steaming, microwaving and stir-frying are the best preparation methods.
- Broccoli is also high in vitamin K
Cauliflower is very nutritious, and may be eaten cooked, raw or pickled. See the list of nutritional facts about cauliflower why it is considered one of the healthiest foods in the world.
- Cauliflower is low in fat
- It is high in dietary fiber, folate, water and vitamin C, possessing a very high nutritional density.
- Cauliflower shares with broccoli and cabbage several phytochemicals which are beneficial to human health, including sulforaphane, an anti-cancer compound released when cauliflower is chopped or chewed.
- The compound indole-3-carbinol, which appears to work as an anti-estrogen, appears to slow or prevent the growth of tumors of the breast and prostate.
- Cauliflower also contains other glucosinolates besides sulfurophane, substances which may improve the liver’s ability to detoxify carcinogenic substances.
- A high intake of cauliflower has been found to reduce the risk of aggressive prostate cancer.
- Low carb dieters can use cauliflower as a reasonable substitute for potatoes for while they can produce a similar texture, or mouth feel, they lack the starch of potatoes
4. Sweet Potato
Sweet potato, scientifically named Ipomoea batatas, or Camote should not be taken for granted because it is one of the foods that contain lots of vitamins and other dietary and health benefits needed by the body.
- Sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value.
- Sweet potato is rich in simple starches
- Sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene (a vitamin A equivalent nutrient), vitamin C, and vitamin B6.
- Sweet potato varieties with dark orange flesh have more beta carotene than those with light colored flesh.
- Despite the name “sweet”, it is a beneficial food for diabetics
- It helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and to lower insulin resistance.
Yes, tomato is one of the healthiest foods in the world. As a matter of fact, it is a powerful antioxidant.
- Consumption of tomatoes benefits the heart among other things
- They contain lycopene, one of the most powerful natural antioxidants, which, especially when tomatoes are cooked, has been found to help prevent prostate cancer
- Lycopene has also been shown to improve the skin’s ability to protect against harmful UV rays
- Tomato contains double the normal vitamin C
- Tomato has 40 times normal vitamin A
- It has high levels of anthocyanin
- It is two to four times the normal amount of lycopene
China is the number producer of apples and is one of the most widely cultivated tree fruits. The proverb “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” addressing the health effects of the fruit dates from 19th century Wales.
- Research suggests that apples reduce the risk of colon cancer, prostate cancer and lung cancer.
- The fiber content, while less than in most other fruits, helps regulate bowel movements and may thus reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Apples also help with heart disease, weight loss, and controlling cholesterol, as they do not have any cholesterol, have fiber, which reduces cholesterol by preventing reabsorption, and are bulky for their caloric content like most fruits and vegetables.
- There is evidence that in vitro apples possess phenolic compounds which may be cancer-protective and demonstrate antioxidant activity.
Blueberries are native only to North America and one of the most nutritious fruits in the world.
- Blueberries have high levels of the essential dietary mineral manganese, vitamin b6, vitamin C, vitamin K and dietary fiber. One serving provides a relatively low glycemic load score of 4 out of 100 per day.
- Blueberries contain anthocyanins, other antioxidant pigments and various phytochemicals possibly having a role in reducing risks of some diseases, including inflammation and different cancers
- Similar to red grape, some blueberry species contain in their skins significant levels of resveratrol, a phytochemical.
- Consumption of blueberries alleviates the cognitive decline occurring in Alzheimer’s disease and other conditions of aging.
- Eating blueberries lowers brain damage in experimental stroke
- Research at Rutgers has also shown that blueberries may help prevent urinary tract infections.
- Blueberry consumption lowers cholesterol and total blood lipid levels, possibly affecting symptoms of heart disease.
Of all the edible nuts, almond is the most nutritious. Almond is native to the Middle East. Here’s a list why almond is considered as one of the healthiest food on the planet.
- Sweet almond contains practically no carbohydrates and may therefore be made into flour for cakes and cookies (biscuits) for low-carbohydrate diets or for patients suffering from diabetes mellitus or any other form of glycosuria.
- Almond flour is gluten-free and therefore a popular ingredient in cookery in place of wheat flour for gluten-sensitive people and people with wheat allergies and celiac disease.
- A standard serving of almond flour, 1 cup, contains 20 grams of carbohydrates, of which 10 g is dietary fiber, for a net of 10 g of carbohydrate per cup. This makes almond flour very desirable for use in cake and bread recipes by people on carbohydrate-restricted diets.
- Almonds are a rich source of Vitamin E, containing 24 mg per 100 g.
- They are also rich in monounsaturated fat, one of the two “good” fats responsible for lowering LDL cholesterol.
- Almonds improve complexion, improve movement of food through the colon (feces) and the prevention of cancer.
- Almonds elevate the blood levels of high density lipoproteins and lower the levels of low density lipoproteins
- A 73g of almonds in the daily diet reduced LDL cholesterol by as much as 9.4%
- Almond is considered a nutritive for brain and nervous system. It is said to induce high intellectual level and longevity.
There are hundreds of edible species of fishes but salmon is one of the best and most nutritious. Salmon is a popular food and here are some nutritional facts about this fish.
- Consuming salmon is considered to be healthy due to the fish’s high protein, high Omega-3 fatty acids, and high vitamin D content.
- Salmon is also a source of cholesterol, ranging 23-214 mg/100g depending on the species.
- Salmon has traditionally been an important source of DHA and EPA, which are important for brain function and structure, among other things.
Yogurt is a dairy product produced by bacterial fermentation of milk. Fermentation of the milk sugar (lactose) produces lactic acid, which acts on milk protein to give yogurt its texture and its characteristic tang. Soy yogurt, a non-dairy yogurt alternative, is made from soy milk.
- Yogurt is nutritionally rich in protein, calcium, riboflavin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12
- People who are moderately lactose-intolerant can enjoy yogurt without ill effects, because the lactose in the milk precursor is converted to lactic acid by the bacterial culture.
- Yogurt also has medical uses, in particular for a variety of gastrointestinal conditions, and in preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
- Eating yogurt containing L. acidophilus helps prevent vulvovaginal candidiasis
- Yogurt is believed to promote good gum health, possibly because of the probiotic effect of lactic acids present in yogurt.
Eat plenty of these healthy foods and live a healthy life!