Aromatherapy is the use of aromatic plant extracts or oils to improve physical, mental, and emotional well-being. It’s also being used today in the treatment of wrinkles. You might be a little surprised, but a number of essential oils do have anti-aging properties. The oils of fennel, frankincense, myrrh, rose, rosemary, and sandalwood fight aging by inhibiting elastase activity. By doing this these essential oils prevent collagen and elastin from breaking down, in effect reducing chances of the skin losing elasticity significantly.
5 Tips When Using Aromatherapy Oils For Wrinkles
But take note, these aromatherapy oils will only work effectively if you know how to use them properly. Aromatherapy oils are popular items on the market today. Millions of people around the world are using them, yet only a few seem to be benefiting from them greatly. Here then, are a few tips on how you can use aromatherapy oils to your greater advantage:
- Know The Enemy.Wrinkles are not only the result of the aging process. They can be caused by several factors, too. Exposure to pollution and toxins, sun damage, gravity, and cigarette smoking can trigger the early breakdown of collagen and elastin, leading to the development of wrinkles. Knowing what could have triggered the appearance of wrinkles in your case is very important in determining the kind of aromatherapy oil that could address your specific issue. It will do you good then to have your condition properly assessed first. Then you can already figure out the type of essential oil your skin requires.
- Perform a skin test first to ensure you are not allergic to the essential oil. Apply a small amount of oil on your arm. If your skin itches or become red, choose another alternative.
- Make sure the essential oil of choice comes in a carrier oil or rich lotion base before applying it on your skin. Just dilute 5 drops of essential oil with an ounce of Jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is preferred by skin experts because it’s nourishing to the skin and is easily absorbed. It doesn’t smell bad or go sour, too, even after some time.
- Don’t rub it in but gently massage the essential oil into the skin. This promotes good circulation and increases blood flow to the skin, ensuring a steady supply of nutrients and oxygen to your skin cells to maintain a youthful glow.
- Embark on a healthy diet and lifestyle if you are using aromatherapy oils for wrinkles. This is very important if you want to experience the maximum benefits of aromatherapy oils. A diet that is rich in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and Vitamin B, Vitamin C and Vitamin E is recommended. Drinking at least 10 glasses of water everyday is necessary, so is avoiding alcoholic beverages and smoking.
You will find aromatherapy oils in abundance today. They can be found almost anywhere – in supermarkets, drug stores, cosmetic stores, and boutiques. But many of them are of poor quality. To make a wise decision, consider these tips:
- Prefer to buy essential stores from herb stores or health stores.
- Make sure the essential oil comes in a dark-colored bottle as essential oils are easily destroyed by light.
- Carefully examine the label to make sure that the essential oil:
- Is not simply a “fragrance oil” or a “perfume oil”.
- Comes with its Latin name, method of extraction and country of origin. This makes it easy for you to determine the therapeutic properties of the oil and the usage of the oil.
- The essential oil is manufactured recently. If the manufacturing date shows that it’s been prepared and sealed many years ago, that essential oil must have already lost its therapeutic effects and is rendered practically useless.