Wrinkles on the upper lip may not be as common as those appearing on the forehead, eye area, and neck. But they’re still wrinkles, and they still mar your face. Generally, wrinkles form when the skin loses moisture and elasticity and becomes thin. These normally happen as one advances in years, but there are other factors that can cause the wrinkles to appear earlier. Exposure to toxins and UV rays contribute greatly to premature aging. And in the case of upper lip wrinkles, cigarette smoking plays a big role.
You might be wondering how smoking can take part in the formation of lip wrinkles, but there’s not complicated explanation, really. You see, when you smoke, you pucker your lips and that means using the muscle around your lips. Over a period of time, this muscle becomes so constricted and weak to the point that it no longer bounces back to its normal state after being used. Moreover, the chemicals in the cigarette can deplete the skin of moisture, making it more vulnerable to wear and tear. Making it worse is the fact that these chemicals impede blood flow, depriving the skin cells of essential nutrients.
Needless to say, if you have wrinkles on your lips, you will really want to get rid of them. Here are some things you can do to bust the wrinkles away:
- Prevent more wrinkles from forming by quitting smoking once and for all.
- Avoid anything that require excessive use of the muscle above your lip, such as drinking from a straw.
- Use protection when going out during the day. Apply sun protection cream with SPF of at least 15 and wear sunglasses and a hat especially when you expect to be out in the sun for quite a while.
- Make sure your anti-aging creams come with retinol (a form of Vitamin A that helps in the repair and regeneration of damaged skin cells), hyaluronic acid (a type of acid that attracts moisture), functional keratin such as Cynergy TK (to boost natural production of collagen), and antioxidants such as Green Tea (to fight free radicals)
- Do the Fish Pout, an exercise designed to strengthen the muscle of your upper lip. To do this, Curl your upper lip and hold it in place while placing your index fingers at the center and then moving them towards the corners of your mouth. Relax and repeat the entire process six more times.
- Adopt an ideal skincare regimen. Start your day by washing your face with a mild, non-pore-clogging, cleanser and then toning it. Avoid using makeup as much as possible. If you have to, see to it that it’s chemical free. If you must know, many chemical ingredients used in cosmetics actually hasten skin aging. So if you feel naked without any makeup on, just choose a wise alternative. Then moisturize. Choose a moisturizer that’s specially formulated for daytime use. At the end of the day, make sure to wash your face clean again and hydrate it with hydrating cream. Skin exfoliation is also recommended once or twice a week. If you don’t have sensitive skin you can do it three times a week, or basically every other day. The benefit of exfoliation is the removal or the sloughing off of dead skin cells revealing fresh skin. Also to be made part of your daily skin care routine is drinking water. Don’t take water for granted. It’s one of the best-loved beauty secrets of all time, and just think – it’s free! Water keeps your skin hydrated and smooth, making it difficult for wrinkles to develop.