This article describes how to configure Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 to add a new Internet e-mail account. You must obtain information from your Internet service provider (ISP) to complete the steps in this article.
Information that you must obtain from your ISP before you configure Outlook Express 6.0
- E-mail address. An example of an e-mail address is “email@example.com.”
- Username. For example, if your e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org, your username is “someone.”
- Incoming mail server name. An example of an incoming mail server is “pop.microsoft.com.”
- Incoming mail server type. Is the incoming mail server type a POP3 server?
- Outgoing mail server name. An example of an outgoing mail server is “smtp.microsoft.com.”
- Does your account require that you use secure password authentication?
- Does the ISP use any non-standard e-mail ports?
1) Open Outlook Express
2) Go to Tools->Accounts->Mail
3) Click on Add->Mail. A dialog that looks like this will display:
4) Enter your name for display name – example, John Smith, then click Next
5) A dialog looking like this will display:
Enter your email address – example, email@example.com, then click Next.
6) The following dialog will display. For “My incoming mail server is a “ pulldown, select POP3. Enter the POP3 server supplied to you with your emailbox information as the “Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server”. Enter the SMTP server supplied to you with your emailbox information as the “Outgoing mail (SMTP) server”. Click next after filling in all values.
Internet Email Configuration – Outlook Express
7) A dialog requesting userid and password information will display:
Enter the userid supplied to you with your emailbox information for “Account name:”. Enter the password supplied to you with your emailbox information as the “Password:”. Make sure “Remember password” is checked otherwise you will need to supply your password every time you startup Outlook Express. Click on Next after you’ve entered this information.
8) A dialog will display congratulating you on successfully entering in all information and to click on Finish to save these settings. Click on Finish. You are nearly finished.
9) You will need to turn on one more checkbox in order to start using Outlook Express to send and receive email. From the main Outlook Express window, click on Tools->Accounts->Mail. You will see a list of email accounts. There will be an account named after the POP3 server you supplied in step 6. Click on this account, and then click on Properties. A dialog similar to this will display:
Click on the “Servers” tab (second from left) at the top of the dialog box.
10) Make sure the “My server requires authentication” checkbox is checked:
Then click on OK.
11) You will now be back at the dialog titled Internet Accounts. Click on Close. This will take you back to the Outlook Express main window.
12) You may now start sending & receiving email.
This article is intended for a beginning to intermediate computer user.
You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.