A few miles to the south -west is a picturesque hunting lodge overlooking the Siliserh Lake and, further south, the famous sanctuary of Sariska. The Mahabharata site of Pandupol, a popular picnic spot, is about 19 km off the Alwar-Jaipur Road. it is believed to have been one of the heavens of retreat for the Pandavas. It lies within the sanctuary area and appears very beautiful in the rainy season.
on the same road and about 50 km before Jaipur is Bairath where, according to tradition, the Pandavas spent the thirteenth year of their exile. this has been vindicated by recent excavations. Apparently, this was an important stop on the ancient trade route. The Chinese traveler Hieun Tsang has written about it and its monasteries; it had, at that time, become an important center of Buddhist religion and culture. Ancient Biratpur or Bairath was probably destroyed by Ghazni in the year 1009 and later by Ghori. Among the important archaeological discoveries of this place are the remains of a large Buddhist monastery and some coins of Greek and Indo-Greek origin.
On the outskirts of Jaipur and surrounded by brown hills is the ancient capital of Amber. Amber remained the capital for about 250 years ago, when Sawai Jai Singh moved his seat to the newly planned city of Jaipur. Ambar palace, situated astride a hill with two forts on still higher peaks, is not only a rare specimen of medieval architecture but, when seen against the rising or the getting setting sun reflected in the Maota Lake down below, it gives the appearance of an enchanted castle.
Jaipur was perhaps the only planned city when it was founded in 1727 by Sawai Jai Singh. Through modelled on the principles of town planning conforming to Manasara’s Vastu Shastra, it is said that Singh had, in its construction, consulted the blueprints of the latest cities of Europe and had drawn upon the skill and knowledge of many distinguished mathematicians and architects. a part from creating a planned city, Jai Singh gave Jaipur an astronomical laboratory with instruments built from metal and stone -these are still in use by the local astronomers.