Men can suffer from dry skin because of a variety of reasons; not drinking enough water, exposure to the elements, and even indoor heating which often strips humidity from the air. This lack of moisture in the air, coupled with a lack of moisture within the body, is responsible for most cases of dry skin, especially in winter months. Fortunately, men can greatly improve the condition of their skin in under a week by following the following tips.
1. Drink plenty of water. Any skin care specialist or dermatologist will tell you that one of the best things you can do for your skin is to drink plenty of water. The human body is comprised of 90% water, so this advice makes perfect sense.
2. Exfoliate. Exfoliation is the removal of dead skin cells from the surface of the epidermis. These dead cells make the skin look dull and feel dry to the touch. Using a gentle exfoliant cream on your face and a loofah sponge on your body will scour away these dead cells, revealing the healthy skin underneath.
3. Moisturize. Men should apply a moisturizing lotion or cream to their skin immediately after showering. The heat and steam from a shower will open the skin’s pores, allowing the moisturizer to penetrate deeper in the skin for better results. To avoid smelling like mountain rain, wildflowers, or an ocean breeze, a man should opt for an unscented lotion.
4. Fight back against the elements. Wind and dry air are main culprits when it comes to drying the skin. In summer months, always use a sunscreen, and in winter months always wear a hat or scarf on windy days. Winter wind is responsible for everything from chapped lips to dry skin.
5. Use a humidifier. Indoor heating sucks the moisture out of the air, and it will also suck the moisture out of your body. Plug in a humidifier during the winter months and not only will you prevent dry skin, you will also minimize static electricity, resulting in less shocks when you turn on the light switch or the television.
These five easy steps will greatly improve the appearance and condition of the skin, especially in men who suffer from dry skin. These steps are quick, easy, inexpensive, and best of all the results will be seen in only a matter of days.