What is Internship?
Internship is a system of on-the-job training for white collar jobs, similar to an apprenticeship. Interns are usually college or university students, but they can also be high school students or post graduate adults seeking skills for a new career. They may also be as young as middle school or in some cases elementary students. Student internships provide opportunities for students to gain experience in their field, determine if they have an interest in a particular career, create a network of contacts, or gain school credit. Internships provide employers with cheap or free labor for (typically) low-level tasks.
Most undergraduate degrees in Engineering and Business have a mandatory internship as a part of the curriculum. Internships in India are usually unpaid due to a high supply of graduates in comparison to the number of jobs available. Internships in reputable companies are always obtained through personal contacts and references.
Benefits of Internship Training Program:
Many employers include these as reasons or benefits of having a quality ongoing internship program in their organization:
- Offers employers a cost-effective program for recruiting highly qualified and motivated students to meet the company needs
- Provides well-prepared short-term employees to assist current employees, so they have opportunity to pursue higher projects
- Meets peak or seasonal needs without a long-term commitment
- Offers a low-cost method of training potential future employees
- Creates a recruiting edge on campus
- Helps to identify potential future hires, a pipeline for candidates
- Acts as a recruiting activity with Low Risk
- Provides an opportunity for supervisory experience for developing employees
- A way to gain short term talent
- Provide the organization with fresh ideas
- Fulfill a civic and professional responsibility by providing students with real work experience
- Low-cost, high quality labor
- Build Relationships with Local Colleges
- Increase Diversity
Advantages of Internship Training Program:
Internship is a kind of work experience where basic objective is learning, not money making. Internship encourages an educated student to test his education in the vicinity of official environment. Incase of internship, there is equilibrium of demand and supply. Companies need employees at low cost and students need experience at preliminary stage.
Internship is also a talent hunt for initial learner. Well established organizations often pay their interns. But all the time money does not matters. So go ahead and avail the chance to try your skills. The keenness, devotion, enthusiasm and attitude towards work show one’s thirst and seriousness for gearing up the career. And all these are very necessary at primary level.
Internship offers several rewards, of which some are given below:
Experience lies at arm’s length. You need to put yourself sincerely and all gains would be yours. It is a chance of experiencing theory in its actual shape. Intern has to pass through a variety of works. He would not be specialized in single field. Employer drills the intern through rigorous exercises in various departments or sections. In this way intern’s capacity to work is determined. This learning phase sometimes rewards him with a permanent job.
Environment of classroom changes into a professional ambience. This sudden change helps in personality development. Student attains professional maturity and comes out from an unserious and less responsible life. It also helps in communication skills.