Natural Home Remedies for Pneumonia
Pneumonia is a general term that refers to an infection of the lungs, which can be caused by a variety of microorganisms, including viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites.
Most cases of pneumonia are caused by viruses, including adenoviruses, rhinovirus, influenza virus (flu), respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and parainfluenza virus (which causes cruop).
The symptoms of some bacterial pneumonias, such as pneumococcal pneumonia, develop very quickly and typically include:
- A single episode of shaking chills followed by fever
- Chest pain on the side of the infected lung. Severe abdominal pain sometimes occurs in people with pneumonia in the lower lobes of the lung
- Cough, which may be dry at first, but eventually produces phlegm (sputum)
- Nausea, vomiting, and muscle aches
- Rapid breathing and heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
These home remedies are simple, easy to prepare and easy to follow. You will get benefited from these home remedies if followed as instructed below. These remedies can be taken along with your medication to improve your health and give relief from pneumonia symptoms.
1. Turmeric has several medicinal properties and is widely used in treating a number of ailments. It also helps in treating pneumonia. Other herbs such as black pepper, fenugreek and ginger are also beneficial for your lungs. You can take these herbs in raw or cooked form.
2. Sesame seeds are also helpful in treating pneumonia. Add 15 grams of sesame seeds in 250 ml water. Add a pinch of common salt, a teaspoon of linseed, and a tablespoon of honey in this mixture. Consume daily to expel phlegm from the bronchial tubes.
3. Ginger is a popular home remedy for treating most of the respiratory disorders. Take 10 ml juice of the fresh ginger, or one or two grams dried ginger powder along with honey two times daily.
4. Add a teaspoon of honey to a glass of lukewarm water. Drink it two or three times a day. This drink has very soothing effect and relieves symptoms.
5. Mix some camphor with warm turpentine oil and apply it on the chest. Gently massage to get relief from pneumonia.
6. The patient should be kept in a clean, hot and healthy room. Make sure that sunshine enters in the patient room.
7. Try to keep the chest and the feet of the patient warmer than the other parts of the body.
8. Do not take foods that may lead to constipation. It may aggravate the condition.
9. To get relief from chest pain and discomfort, take a teaspoonful of garlic juice.
10. Holy basil is also very useful in pneumonia. Take the juice of few fresh leaves of holy basil. Add a pinch of ground black pepper to this juice and consume at six hourly intervals.