I remember back to when I was about 13 years old, unzipping the tent porch and the bright sun shining in my eyes. I looked out to the crisp blue sea thinking “wow.” I wasn’t in the Caribbean, Australia or at the coast in France. I was in Woolacombe, North Devon; but if I had showed you the photos from back then, you’d have thought otherwise! For this reason, I recommend the small seaside resort to all my friends and family wishing to stay in the UK this year for their holidays.
Woolacombe is popular with both local and travelling surfers, plus outdoors enthusiasts come here to appreciate the resort’s landscapes. The area is part of the North Devon Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
In Woolacombe village you’ll enjoy pubs, restaurants and great places to stay.
In the summer the village becomes a hive of activity with tourists flocking to enjoy the beach and the famous crazy golf course, which is based on famous Devonshire landmarks.
Over the last 15 years Woolacombe’s beach has won an abundance of awards including:
- Family Resort of the Year – Gold Award (England for Excellence – 1999):
- Best British Beach (Mail on Sunday – 2000)
- Best Beach (2nd place) (The Observer – 2000)
- ENCAMS Seaside Award (2003)
- Tidy Britain Seaside Award (2005)
- Blue Flag beach (2005, 2006, 2007 and others)
These were awarded to Woolacombe because of its gorgeous, long sandy beach, its cleanliness, great water quality and outstanding facilities.
Things to do in Woolacombe:
Aside from surfing, sunbathing and putting, why not try doing something a little bit new, or different? These are my top suggestions:
- Book a photography lesson with a local photographer and learn how to record fantastic, lasting memories of the stunning seascapes.
- Explore and enjoy the countryside on horseback by booking a riding lesson. You can even take a trek on the beach!
- Take a boat trip and enjoy sightings of seals, dolphins and sea birds.
- Lundy Island is a tiny island off the coast of North Devon, home to wonderful, unspoilt nature. The sea is clear and the views are spectacular. Not to be missed!
Like all of Devon, Woolacombe is home to a whole range of holiday accommodation, from quintessentially British B&Bs to impressive hotels. Also, Woolacombe campsites have some of the MOST STUNNING views in the UK, from the farms out onto the sea. And I should know!