Facebook announced last Wednesday that it reached its 200 million mark dwarfing its close competitor MySpace with130 million users. Founded in 2004 by Harvard college student Mark Zuckerberg who is also the current CEO , is now considered the largest social network on the internet.
Observers believe that Facebook, like other social network from the past, will reach a plateau at some point as the site runs out of prospects. It’s up to the company on how long it can prolong its market leadership and how creative they are on luring new members and maintaining their existing users.
Relevant information about Facebook are listed below.
- More than 200 million active members as of April 2009
- 140 million users are outside the United States
- 100 million users log on to their Facebook account everyday
- Facebook users are mostly 35 years old and up.
- Facebook user has an average of 120 friends.
- Facebook is available in 40 languages.
- Founded on February 4, 2004 by a Harvard student (Mark Zuckerberg, now CEO)
- Formerly called “The Facebook” and believed to be a spin-off of the short-lived but popular Harvard version of the Am I Hot or Not? called “Facemash”.
- Facebook has 700 employees and estimated revenue for 2008 is $ 30 Million.