Make the most of your wardrobe
Everyone is talking about frugality lately. Yes, the economy is scary and we should all be careful how we spend our money but that doesn’t mean you can’t have as much fun with your wardrobe. Here are some guidelines that I think are helpful to making the most of your wardrobe:
- 1. It’s winter!! I’m sure you have your winter clothes stored somewhere. Bring ’em on out! Reintroducing those items into your wardrobe, it’s as if you just went shopping.
- 2. It’s colder so now you can layer. Pair things together to make the transition from warm to cold weather. For example, I like to take all my short sleeved summer sweaters and jackets and pair them with long sleeve turtlenecks and long sleeve shirts. Not only are you creating new looks but it’s incredibly chic.
- 3. What about all those skirts you wore during the summer? Buy some affordable opaque tights and wear them with your skirts and boots all winter long! *Note: It may not be quite that simple if you live in a severely cold weather climate.
- 4. Scarves can help you make a major statement. Buy a couple of affordable ones in different colors and patterns. You can use them as a focal point in your outfit by pairing them with some basic jeans and a basic top. Learn different ways to wear them by searching on the internet, particularly YouTube where you’ll be shown different ways to do so.
- 5. Necklaces, bracelets and earring are another great way to punch up an outfit and make it look completely different. Experiment with different necklace lengths, group necklaces together, or stack a bunch of bracelets together.
- 6. To further elaborate on experimenting, take a few hours one day (maybe even a whole day) and try on stuff that you never would have put together on. We quite often get stuck in a habit of pairing certain things with only a few other things. Break out of that by being bold even if you think it’ll look crazy. You’re at home so who’s going to know?
- 7. Look for inspiration. I love watching TV shows and looking at pictures of celebs online because it inspires me to try new things. If you have a hard time coming up with stuff in #6 then look to others, there’s no shame in that. For example, I never would have paired yellow and purple together until I saw it in a magazine (and yes it looks great!).
So basically to make the most of what you already own, be open to trying new things. Versatility is key. Along with that, you can keep spending to a minimum by investing in a few new accessories. It’s a process so give it time!