There must be some truth to the saying, “You are what you eat,” if the health of one’s skin is any indication. While many people spend a fortune in getting their skin to glow as healthily and as attractively as possible, it is actually possible to enjoy glowing skin simply by altering your diet. Does this mean you can stop reaching for that bottle of cleanser or trying out every brand of moisturizer in the market?
Indeed, before you spend another cent on a new brand, in hopes of finally having the skin you want, why don’t you check out the following food choices to add to your diet? These are considered the best choices if you want to enjoy healthy skin:
1. Sweet potatoes – Sweet potatoes are not only healthy options if you want to keep your weight down, they are also known for working magic on one’s complexion. This is because sweet potatoes come with beta carotene, a red-, orange-, and yellow-pigmented antioxidant that helps fight against the damage that your skin undergoes as a result of sun exposure. If you want to enjoy the full benefits of this starchy food, keep the skin on and you will get an extra serving of fiber.
2. Salmon – This fish high in omega-3 fatty acids benefits your skin by giving you more softness and luster. This is largely due to the high level of healthy fats nourishing your skin by reducing the production of substances in the body that increase the risk of inflammation. It also helps decrease the possibility of your pores getting clogged, while also preventing wrinkles and fine lines. To make sure you never forget to give your skin a healthy boost, buy extra salmon fillets from the market and keep them in the freezer.
3. Snapper – This is another tropical fish that is high in healthy fats, and it even comes with another booster for your skin: selenium. This mineral helps in reducing the possibility of sunburn and helps you enjoy an even skin tone. If the skin of the fish itself is any indication, you might notice that it is typically served skin-side-up in restaurants to boast of its luminous scales. To avoid the extra oil in frying, you can bake snappers with a little olive oil and some almonds—a combination that will also greatly benefit your skin and your body overall.
4. Kiwi – This tangy-sweet fruit is another hero for supple skin. This is because of the high levels of vitamin C that this fruit has over every other fruit. This vitamin is well known for maintaining the collagen in skin, which keeps it firm. Unfortunately, vitamin C can easily evaporate once it is exposed to water, heat, or air. Thus, the furry skin of kiwi is effective at keeping the nutrient locked in, making the fruit an ideal carrier of the vitamin. Cutting off the ends of a kiwi fruit makes it very easy to peel and eat.
5. Sunflower seeds – These seeds are a great source to keep the development of wrinkled saggy skin to a minimum. They boast of a high level of vitamin E, which is an antioxidant known for decelerating the aging of cells in the skin, making you look younger much longer. Scars are also another skin issue that vitamin E helps diminish. You can take sunflower seeds on their own as a snack or pair them with raisins for that nice sweet and savory combination.
6. Turkey – Turkey contains high levels of zinc, a mineral that helps maintain elastin and collagen in the skin, giving you the perfect balance of firmness and elasticity. Be sure to choose smoked or roasted turkey to keep it as healthy as possible. Steer clear from flavoured varieties as they come with much salt additives and sugar. You can opt to toss your turkey with spinach leaves for a healthy salad instead of relying on a sandwich-version of the healthy poultry.
7. Tea – While the body needs at least 8-10 glasses of liquids each day, experts recommend alternating water with hot tea or iced tea minus the sweetener. Both green and black tea is high with antioxidants that fight acne.
Add these items into your daily diet and your friends will wind up wondering why your skin glows more healthily than ever!