Leadership is the art of delegation: the impact on motivation
Leadership and Delegation:
Leadership in business refers to the charisma or intellectual capability of a manager or executive that enables it to achieve the objectives thru’ strategic implementation of courses of actions both by satisfying the subordinates and with the limited resources within a specific time frame with full participation from the subordinates.
Delegation is an invisible issue like a computer virus that no one can see but ultimately that slowed down the machine or organization, the point of which is total collapse or disruption of the system; in this case lagging behind in the era of fierce competition where multi prong attacks are normal phenomenon and getting out of business is not predictable.
Managers run with fragile loads of responsibilities to be accomplished within a stipulated time
Motivation is the zeal of staff and employees which are spontaneous and participative and pro-active towards achieving the business objectives. Motivation refers also the whole hearted efforts from the staff who are more or less satisfied and enthusiastically participate in accomplishing an assigned job or function(s). Most of the motivated workers are found to be pro-active and sincere.
Why motivation and delegation needed?
In simple terms motivation is needed to get the job done with 100% commitment and determination from the staff, so that no stone unturned in achieving the set objectives. Without motivation, no participation would be happened in the decision making process, which would turn out to be pseudo-participation and non-ownership by the people, resulting from half-hearted working. In that case workers will not deliver 100% of their efforts and capacity, meaning wasting resources or under utilized manpower. In monetary sense they are overpaid!
Delegation is necessary when duties and responsibilities are expanded and diversified. When staff and workers are trained and skilled and understand when and what to do, meaning the experience curve is strong. By delegating managers could focus different other functions leaving more routine jobs to the subordinates. In the subordinates’ perspectives, delegation means having power, position and honor in their jobs. They know what to do and how to do it, so, more experienced ones help others by instructing the jobs features, natures and ways and means. The outcome is cost effectiveness, quality and timely accomplishments.
Motivation and delegation process:
How the delegation is done in Bangladesh:
– In Bangladesh the most neglected or reluctant parts of leaderships are the delegation. We very correctly understand the meaning and value of delegations, not the realm of ‘delegation of authority’. Only in the private sector where the growth of sole tradership risen up to the level of corporate stages both in terms of business growth, potentials and size. Only those top or CEO understands the meaning and consequence of delegation as the he gone thru’ all these. But those who are in the main stream of management normally do not have time to spare on the issue of delegation of authority, as no management research or focuses are done on the issue from top. Consequently, overstressed and inefficiency grows on or decaying affectivity of the jobs assigned are frequently blamed on.
The impact of delegation on the motivation of staff:
– Want it or not is it not possible for the management to go alone without seeking hands from the men on the down line; the issue is the management not let the men down the line that the job assigned for the time being is just to help the uppers, not for more perfection of accomplishments- is the psyche of the managers, which seems not true in the part of the down liners as even the stupid can define what is what; yet delegation is the last options for the management lest the others get it as a factor of incompetence or procrastinations or in the worst case scenario unable to accomplish properly and confidently.
– Delegation is done in the name of short of time or burdened with file work loads and time constraints, which not necessarily means delegation, rather sharing of works on assignment basis. Trouble is in most of the cases the performances of the subs go down while the affectivity and efficiency really measured.
– Just sharing the ideas and jobs not enough while the question of delegation arises: Normally in the organization sharing of ideas are considered to be delegation is done in Bangladesh, sometimes those who understood the delegation by definition and believing in it seems reluctant to do it in fear double work or lack in confidence on the staff to be delegated as the chief responsibilities will be ultimately on the managers shoulders or the delegators. Indeed, a corporate policy and liability benchmarks are to be flagged both for the delegators and delegates, if it is really to be organizationalised.
– Dilemma is the delegatees or to be delegatees usually could not raise the questions both due to fear and possible repercussion!
– Delegators/Managers normally consider themselves jobless if the delegation is made
– The very next issue is if the jobs are delegated what the managers would do for themselves, this is some times the views of the superior towards the subordinates
– So, the in the Organogram the job security really matters, also the issue of competency and reliability matters as the examples of misusing of power and money laundering are not that difficult to cite from the business world. So, the security on both tiers of the Organogram matters.
– Believing and understanding of delegation and believing in it are different issues if practicality and proper methods are evaluated with regards to the productivity and affectivity of delegation and its impact. This is one of the reasons while the management is accepting the values of delegation on the one hand and not implementing on the other hand. This due to not getting the proper essence of delegation of authority. This is the risk the management very often dare to take rather avoid it or turn a blind eye as the production and performance degradation not significantly correlated with delegation factors, arbitrarily speaking, or the capacity of management lack in measuring or quantifying the efficiency lost for it.
– Organisations where the jobs are thankless and subjective assessment of performance is practiced, it is very difficult to implement the proper delegation of authority. Management in top deems to prove that they are doing everything or rather get them done. So, the subordinates rather like bee-workers, their only jobs and responsibilities to do what the management orders and ask them to do without having any sorts of delegating authority to exercise, pros and cons of this practice is – jobs are done at the minimum ‘it goes ok’ level rather not ‘done excellent’. Because no pro-active suggestive work methods and objectives do not normally suggested; meaning ‘why should I go for that’ or ‘let’s do and go.’ While the top management will never get it whether the job is done excellently or ordinarily. The man down the line would carry ‘why should I do that’ or ‘that’s not my job’ or ‘I’m not paid for that’ feeling in mind. Although some people do not agree to that point of view, particularly if they are newly recruited into the organization or rather living far away from the understanding of the reasoning, slangier ‘stupids’.
– Frederick Hertzberg’s theory – 6 satisfiers all of which are achievable thru’ delegation. In Bangladesh the job is get done by assigning or passing the job to subordinates and the credit wholly confiscated with eloquence with the accessibility leverage by the Mid or top managers, this is for two reasons- i) Managers shallow selfish career, ii) The actual performer or accomplisher might ask for benefits and promotion subjects to situations and circumstances allows.
Hence, not even a thanks or verbal recognition is offered to the subordinates, considering it a part of their regular jobs, in fact which might not be the case.
Another perception of management not appreciating is they could be too happy to sloppy to their routine works or not trying themselves to develop further with excellence.
What is to be done for a proper delegation?