Based on the study conducted by the religious group Seventh Day Adventist (SDA), individuals who follow the so-called Seven Healthy Practices lived ten to twelve years longer than those who did not follow a healthy lifestyle. In fact, leaders of this group are requiring all their members to actively follow these healthy habits. The results of the study show that healthy people have seven common habits. These healthy habits are summarized below:
- They exercise regularly. According to the study, healthy individuals regardless of their busy schedules find time to exercise regularly. Exercise, as we all know, must be a regular regimen both for the young and the old. Medical experts prescribe that we should exercise at least thirty minutes a day, three times a week.
- They drink alcohol in moderation. Medical experts allow us to have few shots of alcohol regularly. Alcohol is known to keep our heart in good shape. Results of the study show that healthy individuals are not actually alcoholics; they only drink alcohol because of its health benefits and not for pleasure.
- They don’t eat junk foods. This is because healthy people eat the right food. Junk foods are called “junk” simply because their nutritional values are limited. Junk foods are mostly high in fats, sodium, preservatives and other chemicals.
- They start their day with a healthy breakfast. Busy professionals rush their way to their office every morning. They usually take for granted the most important meal of the day – breakfast. There are some who eats breakfast from fast-food chains which serve high-fat, high-sugar and high-cholesterol foods. Healthy people just don’t eat breakfast but they eat “healthy” breakfast.
- They sleep at least seven to eight hours a day. Our body needs to rest after a long days work. Sleep is our body’s way to repair and replenish worn out cells. Lack of sleep or poor sleeping habits may result to brain fatigue, poor memory retention, irritability and anxiety.
- They don’t smoke. Healthy people do not smoke and also avoid hanging out with smokers. If one of their family members smoke cigarettes, they make sure that they make them quit. Second-hand smoke is as dangerous as first-hand smoke according to medical experts.
- They maintain an ideal weight. Healthy individuals make sure that they maintain an ideal weight at all times. They avoid going thru the so-called yo-yo dieting syndrome wherein dieters go through a cycle of weight-gain and weight-loss within a period of time. Medical experts believe that this cycle will create long term damage to our body especially to our circular system.
Staying healthy should be a lifetime commitment of everyone. As the saying goes, health is wealth.