GREEN TEA benefits are known to man since ancient times.It is an herbal form of medicine that can be traced 4000 years back, to treat various health problems from headaches to depression. It is obtained from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, grown throughout Asia and parts of Middle East and Africa. Green tea contains catechin polyphenols like epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) in huge proportions, that makes it very beneficial for health. As compared to other teas like black tea, oolong tea etc, green tea is more abundant in properties beneficial to fight and prevent various diseases.This can be attributed to the fact that green tea is processed differently than others. Green tea leaves are stemmed instead of being fermented like other teas. This prevents the EGCG compounds from being oxidised and help retain their medicinal properties.
GREEN TEA BENEFITS TO HEALTH
- It reduces the risk of esophageal cancer in men and woman. Some components in green tea does not allow cancer cells to grow and also destroys the cancer cells without any harm to healthy tissues.
- By improving the ratio of good cholesterol(HDL), it reduces the overall cholesterol level ratio.
- It also prevents the abnormal formation of blood clots thus, reducing the chances of heart attacks and stroke.
- It is very beneficial to people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
- It helps to fight infections in the body and also improves the immunity factor in human body.
- Drinking green tea also prevents tooth decay. It contains certain bacteria destroying compound that kill the bacteria causing plaque.
- It’s consumption also helps preventing food poisoning.
- It is a stress reliever that reduces stress by eliminating the toxins in the body.
- An amino-acid compound called theanine, present in green tea affects the brain positively and results in a calmer, yet more alert, state of mind.
In addition to the above benefits, a more recent research has laid claim that green tea benefits also extend to weight loss. It is found that drinking green tea increases the rate of metabolism and speeds up the process of burning fats. It is also said to suppresses appetite. All these help to keeps weight in check.
GREEN TEA AND WEIGHT LOSS
This anti-oxidant rich brew assists in the efforts to control weight increase and fight obesity.
The food that we eat contains sugar and fats which are synthesised into compounds called “triglycerides”. It is a source of energy for all life support and physical activities. However, when there is an excess of triglycerides, they get turned into fats which cause obesity.The compounds in green tea activate an enzyme that dissolves these excess triglycerides found in liver and small intestine.Thus it effectively contributes in reducing fats in the body.
It contains anti-oxidant polyphenol compounds that play an important role in weight loss process. The most important among them is a catechin named epigallocatechin-gallate (EGCG). It also contains alkaloids like caffeine in the right amount.The Caffeine and EGCG are mainly responsible for promoting weight loss.
The catechins(EGCG) and caffeine increase the rate of metabolism i.e the rate at which energy is used for basic functions like breathing, pumping blood to body parts, body temperature maintenance. They also bring an increase in the rate of thermogenesis – a process within our body that burns calories. When this rate is increased the calories in our body are broken down more efficiently. When EGCG and caffeine work together, the central nervous system is forced to free the excess fats into the blood stream.This provides extra energy that help in burning out the fats.
Green tea stimulates the use of fatty acids by the liver and reduces the rate at which carbohydrates are used. This increases the energy level in a person. Increased energy level allows for more stamina while exercising which in turn makes possible to exercise longer and results in increased weight loss.The benefits of the green tea diet can be found within four weeks of having it.
Thus, in a small way, green tea benefits positively to weight reduction and maintenence.
ILL EFFECTS OF WEIGHT LOSS WITH GREEN TEA
Excessive drinking may result in problems like headaches, sleep problems, nervousness, irregular heartbeat etc. People suffering from anxiety and diabetes may find their problems aggravated by drinking green tea in excess.
EFFECTIVENESS OF GREEN TEA IN WEIGHT LOSS
The effectiveness of weight loss drinking green tea is questionable. It is to be noted that, just by drinking green tea, weight does not reduce. Healthy diet and regular exercise are the key to weight loss. Green tea intake may only assist in weight loss.
Green tea is healthy and natural. There are no side-effects in drinking it. Considering today’s life-style, green tea offers many benefits that are very much needed. It is definitely a recommended drink.