Research has shown that only about one per cent of the population achieves exceptional wealth. Is this because the other 99 per cent are missing some crucial information, such as an ancient guidebook on wealth creation? Is there a hidden secret to making money?
After years of hearing the hype about The Secret, I finally read Rhonda Byrne’s book based on this best selling DVD about having, being and doing anything you want in life. Most of the material was based on concepts that had been expressed before by many great thinkers and achievers throughout the centuries. In fact, I had already read and heard ‘the secret’ in several different forms.
What exactly is this ‘secret’? What is this great mystery of achievement in life?
The secret is the reality that everything that is happening to you right now, and everything that has taken place in your life before, is a direct result of what you are thinking now and have thought in the past. The secret is that the universal law of attraction ensures that whatever you think -whether good or bad – you will get. Your thoughts have energy and they attract to you the type of people, situations and events that confirm what you have conjured up in your mind.
Simply put, if your finances, your relationships, and your health are less than you desire, it’s a direct result of your less-than-desirable thoughts. If you’re prosperous, happy and healthy, it’s a result of all the positive thoughts and energy that you emit.
The human mind cannot differentiate between a real situation and a scenario you have vividly created in your mind. If you think and believe something with all your heart, then your mind, using the energy created by your thoughts, will seek out appropriate situations to validate your beliefs.
‘Is that all there is to it’, you may ask. The secret to wealth is to think about wealth? Don’t we all want more money? Don’t we all dream about being rich? So if we’re all thinking about money, why aren’t we all wealthy?
Here’s the key, the real secret to why the majority of us never achieve the money we desire: we really aren’t thinking about wealth and prosperity, we’re focusing on our lack of money!
Let’s consider your thoughts about money right now. I’m sure many of you are thinking, “I don’t have enough money to pay my bills,” “I want to pay off my credit card debt,” “I always have to work hard and struggle to get money,” “I can’t afford to buy….”
These are all negative thoughts that will focus your mind on scarcity, and not on the prosperity you want. If you think about debt, even if it’s to get out of it, your mind is concentrating on debt, and will attract more of it. If you’re worried about your bills, your thoughts will ensure that all you ever manifest is more bills.
So how can you change your thoughts to attract prosperity? Here are some tips from The Secret that will help you to shift your mental spotlight from lack of money to abundance:
1. Believe that all the money you desire already exists in the universe and that it will come to you.
Byrne states “The only reason any person does not have enough money is because they are blocking money from coming to them with their thoughts.”
2. Be happy and grateful for all the money you now have, by giving thanks every day. Byrne explains that you have to feel good about money to attract it to you.
3. Tip the balance of your thoughts from lack-of-money to more-than-enough-money. Replace negative thoughts by constantly repeating positive affirmations out loud:
- Negative: “I have to work hard for money”
Positive: “Money comes easily and frequently.”
Negative: “I can’t afford it”
Positive: “I can afford that”
Negative: “I don’t have enough money to…”
Positive: “I have more than enough money to…”
4. Use your imagination to make-believe you already have the money you want. Play games to trick your mind into thinking you’re already wealthy. Some examples:
– Take your bank statement and white out the total figure, and put in your desired total.
– Create a blank cheque with your desired amount and keep it visible all the time.
– Pretend your bills are cheques before you open them. Get excited and say ‘more money for me’ when you get a bill. Record the amount on the bill as money received and give thanks for it.
– Visualize cheques coming to you in the mail.
5. Give money to attract more money. When you think you don’t have enough to give, start giving. “As you demonstrate faith in giving, the law of attraction must give you more to give,” Byrne reveals. “When you are generous with money and feel good about sharing it, you are saying, ‘I have plenty‘.”
The ability to change your thoughts will not come overnight, as you have to be persistent in applying these exercises until they become habitual. Share The Secret with your friends and family, and work together to replace negativity with positive thoughts until you can create the prosperity you desire!
Copyright © 2008 Cherryl Hanson Simpson. No reproduction without written consent.