- They are Ambitious: They see themselves capable of being the best. They see themselves with the capacity of being really good at what they do. This was a really big though for me. Naturally assumed they were better than I was. And if they were.
There were better than I was, then I must be worse than them, so that would mean they were superior and I was inferior. That is a big problem in our society. We have feelings of inferiority, and these feelings of inferiority are often translated into feelings of undeservedness. We don’t feel we deserve to be a big success.
The word “deserve” comes from two Latin words meaning “from service.” You deserve 100% of everything you make and enjoy as long as you get if from serving other people. Your rewards are in direct proportion to your service. If you serve better and serve more and serve at a higher level and serve more enthusiastically and serve a higher quality, then you’ll have a wonderful income you’ll deserve every penny of it. You must see yourself capable of being the best.
- They are Courageous: They work to confront the fears that hold most people back. The two biggest enemies to yours and my success is fear and doubt. Eliminating fear and doubt is the key. The key to eliminating fear: If you want to develop courage, then simply act courageously when it’s called for. When you do something repeatedly, you develop a habit.
Make a habit throughout your life of doing the things you fear. If you do the thing you fear, the death of fear is certain. To overcome fear of rejection in prospecting, you must realize that rejection in selling is not personal. Top salespeople do not fear prospecting. Face your fear. Do the things you fear. The ability to confront your fear is the mark of the superior person. If you have high ambition and you decide to be in the top 10%, and you can confront your fears and do the things that are holding you back, those two things alone will make you great success.
- They are Committed: The top people in every field, especially the top salespeople, are completely committed. They believe in themselves; they believe in their companies; they believe in their products and services; they believe in their customers; they have an intense belief. We know that there is a one-to-one relationship between the depth of your belief and what happens in your reality. And if you absolutely believe in the rightness and the goodness of what you’re doing, you become like a catalyst.
You create what is called a transfer, like an electrical transfer of enthusiasm. People who are not caring is the critical element in life, as well. All men and women who enjoy great lives care about what they do! They have passion about what they do. They love what they do.
- They are Professional: Top salespeople see themselves as consultants rather than as salespeople. When you think of the word “consultant,” what words come to mind? When do you call a consultant? A consultant is a problem-solver. What word doses not appear when you think of a consultant-the-word “salesperson”. We don’t think of consultant as salespeople.
The most successful consultant in America is the very best salespeople of their services. When a person is positional as a consultant in the mind and heart of the customer, he is not seen as a salesperson. Do people like to be sold? Do people like to be helped to improve their lives and work? So they look upon a salesperson as someone who sells them.
Selling is something you do “to” someone, and people don’t like to be done “to”. So when you think of being a consultant, here is the key. How do you position yourself as a consultant with your customers? Of curse, you build a rapport. And the simplest answer of all and this is the most profound principle: people accept you at your own evaluation of yourself.
Consultants come in and have a cup of coffee. Salespeople wait in the waiting room and have a glass of water. If you say you’re a consultant, your customer will accept you as consultant. From now on, position yourself as a consultant.
Think of yourself a s a consultant. Remember, 80% of what you accomplish on the outside is determined by who you are not the inside. How you see yourself determines how the customer responds to you. The customer’s perception of you determines how much they buy and how much they recommend you to other customers.
- They are Prepared: The review every detail in advance. To be in the 10% requires additional efforts. It requires doing things that the average person is not willing to do. It requires making sacrifices the average person is not willing to make.
It requires reviewing every detail of every call or situation before every business meeting. But the difference it makes is extraordinary. Before you go into a meeting, do your homework.
Successful people are more concerned about pleasing results than they are about pleasing methods. When you sit down with a client, there is nothing more complimentary to a client than the feeling that you have prepared for the meeting.
- They are Continuous Learners: They recognize that if they’re not continually getting better, they’re getting worse. They read, they listen to CDs and they take additional training. The professional never stops learning. So read, listen to CDs, and take continuous training.
- They are Responsible: The see themselves as President of their known personal services corporation. The top people in our society have an attitude of self-employed. 100% of us are self-employed. We are president of our own personal services corporation. You work for yourself.
The biggest mistake we can ever make is to think we work for anyone else. We work for ourselves. The person who signs our paycheck may change; our jobs may change, but we are always the same. We are the one constant-we are always self-employed.
The fact of the matter is-this is not optional, it is mandatory-you are the president of your own company, you’re the president of your own career, your own life, your own finances, your own body, your own family, your own health. You are totally responsibly. We are responsible. No one will ever do it for us. It’s the most liberating and exhilarating thought of all, to think that you’re the president of your own life.