- Set clear, specific written goals for yourself for the next one, three, five, ten years. Most people never do this and therefore drift like ships without rudder. Obviously, those without written goals are forever condemned to work for those with them. All great advances in your life begin with vision of the future and your dreams for yourself. The great tragedy of the modern age more today than at any other age in human history, few know exactly what they want. As You’re going, you’ll probably end somewhere else.” Next write out a list of obstacles that stand between you and your goal. One thing you can do right now is to start moving towards the realization of your goal.
- Accept total responsibility for your life and your future. After all, you got yourself where you are today. Say to yourself, “If it’s to be it’s up to me!” Refuse to make excuses or blame others. An attitude of self-responsibility is a quality of peak performers and high achievers.
- Develop your inborn creativity. Look for better, faster and cheaper ways to do things. Always ask “What else can I do right now to move me towards my goal? Look around you. Who is already earning what you would like to? What do you have to do to be like them? Why not you? Why not now? If not now, when?
- Communication your desires, aim and goals to others who can help you. Ask for advice from other successful people. “You must ask your way to success. “Also to associate with the right people. Become friends with winners and other people you admire and respect Avoid negative people; they seem to take great pleasure in dragging others down to their level of accomplishment.
- Commit to becoming excellent at what you do. A study of successful men and women found that you only will achieve your full potential doing something that you care about, something that totally absorbs you.
- Develop the habit of setting priorities. Use the 80/20 rule. 80% of your results come from 20% of your efforts. Ask yourself regularly, “What is the most valuable use of my time right now?” Become known for speed and dependability and your services will always be in demand. “Do it now”.
- Finally, commit yourself to a life of ongoing personal development. You can become anything you want if you continue to develop yourself through reading, listening to audiotapes and attending courses, workshops and seminars. Spend 30 to 60 minutes reading something inspirational, motivational or educational every morning. Reading one book per month that helps you grow will put you in the top 1% of all executives. Reading one book per week in your chosen field will make you one of the most competent people in your generation. To earn more you must learn more. All leaders are readers.
Remember, if the above 7 steps seem arduous, the secrets of success is that successful people make a habit of doing what failures don’t like to do.