An estimated 10 million Americans are affected by diabetes – one of the most common dreaded conditions. As the diabetes cause is not properly known to the mass, one question always lingers on the mind- what causes diabetes?
Well, there isn’t any definite reason that causes diabetes. However, there can be innumerable reasons responsible for triggering the condition. New researches are being conducted every year to find out the underlying cause of diabetes, and many new facts are being found as well.
There are too many factors being held responsible for triggering diabetes, which could otherwise be controlled by making certain changes and corrections in our lifestyle. Nonetheless, nothing has come up as a concrete cause. Yet there are some experts who have identified some of the potential diabetes causes that lead to the condition.
Have a look:
- Genetic or Hereditary Factors: Diabetes risk factors have been associated with genetic conditions for long. It is a strong belief that some genes are actually responsible for triggering diabetes. Diabetes is very common in close blood relationships, such as a child inheriting it from the mother or father or grandparents. However, if both the parents are diabetic, chances are that the child will develop the condition inevitably.
- Age: Diabetes is more common in older people. 80% of the diabetics are over 50 years. Therefore, age is also considered to be one of the major diabetes causes.
- Improper Diet: Poor nutrition is also responsible for causing diabetes in many patients. The diabetes symptoms are commonly seen in people having low protein and low fiber diets. Refined foods can trigger diabetes too.
- Sedentary Lifestyle: Diabetes is fairly common in people having a sedentary lifestyle. Increasing activity can actually reduce the diabetes symptoms and also cure the condition.
- Obesity: Lack of activity leads to obesity, which is another important diabetes cause. People who are fat or obese stand greater chances of developing diabetes.
- Stress: Emotional disturbances or physical injury can also lead to diabetes initially.
- Drugs: There are certain drugs that cause diabetes, such as risperidone, olanzapine, Clozapine, ziprasidone, quetiapine and other such groups.
- Hypertension: Hypertension often leads to diabetes, thus being one of the common causes of the condition.
Now you know what causes diabetes in real life! However, these causes aren’t foolproof. There could be some other causes of diabetes too, which we might have not addressed.
Before being diagnosed with diabetes, there’s an early stage which is often known as the pre-diabetes stage. During that stage, if a person can make the necessary lifestyle changes it can prevent the disease from aggravating any further. There are certain diabetes symptoms that occur during this stage, such as fatigue, tiredness, blurred vision, frequent urination and increased thirst. People experiencing any or all of these diabetes symptoms must see a doctor without any further delay.
As there are too many stories about the causes of diabetes, you should emphasize on improving your health condition first than trying to find out the cause. Be active, eat healthy and live a happy life, and diabetes will be nowhere.