It may come as a surprise to you but not all walk in bath tubs can be considered safe. In fact, if a tub you are considering does not have two very important certifications (see below), you should walk away and never look back. When you are involved in the homecare of someone who is aged or infirm, you must be certain that the walk in bath you choose for them offers not only convenience and comfort but safety first and foremost.
In Vancouver, as well as the rest of Canada, two certifications are essential for the bather’s safety:
1) The Canadian Standards Association (CSA) safety certification.
2) The Underwriters Laboratories (UL) safety certification.
Without these two documentations, the bather and possibly the homecare person at risk. What’s more, without them you may find your insurance coverage or premiums at risk. Your insurer may not cover you in the event of damage or your premiums could go up.
There are four more certifications that apply to a walk in tub. They are not absolutely necessary but the more of them your tub has, the better and safer you will be.
The first two of these tubs are recommended, though not essential. Whether your situation is elder care or homecare of a disabled person, you may want to make these an essential part of your purchase decision:
1) The International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) international safety certification.
2) The Edison Testing Laboratories (ETL) North American safety certification for electrical equipment.
The remaining two certifications for these tubs are absolutely not necessary but are nice to have. It’s okay for a salesperson to tout that the tub in question has one or both of these certifications but don’t make your purchase decision based on them:
1) American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is a U.S. organization that recommends standards for products.
2) Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a U.S. association for approving products for use by the disabled.
Homecare for someone who cannot care for themselves is always a challenge. You can make it easier on yourself and the person you care for by installing a walk in tub. Just make sure it’s a safe one.