In medical terms, blood pressure is recorded in terms of systolic and diastolic pressure. However, you may be aware of the common fact that the pressure is said to be normal when its range is -120/80 mm of Hg. Here, 120 is the systolic pressure and 80 is the diastolic pressure. And if the pressure lowers from the mentioned range it is termed as – ‘Low blood pressure’ and if it exceeds it is known as – ‘High blood pressure’. High blood pressure is also famously termed as ‘Hypertension’.
Today’s ever growing market provides lots of medications for the blood pressure and water retention problems. One of the widely used medicine is sold in the market named as – Microzide. Microzide belongs to the class known as – Diuretics. Microzide is also known as – ‘Water Pill’ as it functions by increasing the amount of water and salt which is removed by the blood. Microzide causes decrease in the blood volume by increasing the amount of water which is removed from the blood. Because of this it helps in water retention and in lowering blood pressure too.
Few simple precautionary measures have to be taking while consuming generic Microzide and they are as follows:
1.It’s highly important that you should discuss your complete medical history with your doctor before consuming Microzide, like – whether you have any Liver disease, Parathyroid, Gouts, Pancreatitis, kidney disease, lung disease, liver disease, heart disease, diabetes, low or high blood pressure, asthma, heart attack, breathing disorder, any kind of allergies, serious injury/infection or any other severe disease etc.
2. Also acknowledge your doctor if you need to undergo any kind of surgery, including dental surgery or need an x-ray procedure that uses contrast agents. So, inform your doctors immediately about it, so that the doctor can decide whether to continue taking Microzide medication or stop it during the surgery.
3. Let the doctor also know, if you are in-taking or are planning to take any prescribed or non prescribed medicines, health supplements or any other OTC medications, vitamins etc. Also inform, if you drink alcoholic beverages or if you smoke etc.
4. Do not use the Microzide i.e. Hydrochlorothiazide medication, if you have any kind of allergy to it or to any ingredients of it and tell your doctor or pharmacist about the allergy and get treated accordingly.
5. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding before taking Microzide medication. Hence also, inform your doctor immediately when you plan to conceive, or become pregnant during the course.
6. Do not share the drug with others unless they are prescribed by the doctor themselves. And if your symptoms of side effects do not improve in few weeks or if they become worse and bothersome, check these conditions immediately with your doctor.
7. Please, use the Microzide medicine in the prescribed amount and do not overdose it or use it for the longer period of time. Do not discontinue on your own and consult your doctor before doing so to avoid further problems.
8. Regularly, keep your appointments with your doctor and keep an eye on the progress or side effects that has been noticed during the complete course.
9. Also, avoid smoking and consuming alcohol and alcohol containing beverages during the complete course to achieve good results.
10. For more information, contact your doctor and your pharmacists and also discuss the risks and benefits of the generic Microzide.
11. Remember: It is important that your doctor check your progress at regular intervals. If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, contact your doctor.
Store the medicine at room temperature between 15-30°C and between 59-86°F. Check Expiry date without fail. Keep all medicines away from women, newborns, children and pets. Do not freeze in any case. Also, keep it away from heat, dampness and direct light. Heat or moisture may cause the medicine to break down. When the medicine is not in use or outdated it should be discarded. Take help of your pharmacist in disposing this medicine properly. In any case, do not store the Microzide i.e. Hydrochlorothiazide medication in the bathroom.
Different side effects can be noticed depending on different individuals. These symptoms may be – Diarrhea, fever, blood in urine and stools, increase in thirst, mood changes, skin rashes, irregular heartbeat, back pain, nausea, vomiting, muscle pain, loosening of the skin, numbness in hands and legs, unusual bleeding, weakness, tiredness, bruising, yellowing of the eyes or skin, severe pain stomach, itching, tingling etc. However, some other side effects may also be observed. Inform the doctor accordingly. Try to follow your dosing schedule properly. In case, if you miss any dose, and if it is nearly the time of next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose on time. Never double your dose, which is very harmful.
It is always better to carry an ID card mentioning your name, the medicine you are taking, the dosage, the name of the person and your health care professional they should call in case of an emergency. Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory and keep regular checks ups. And in case, if you wish to use the medicine in children, please contact your pediatrician for sure before its use.