Staying Safe While in a Hotel Room
Keeping alert while you are in a hotel room is necessary inspite of the security provided by the hotel. Many crimes and untoward incidents takes place in hotels especially in a country side areas or unfamiliar places.. Here are some tips to keep you safe and sound:
Always take care of your room keys and make sure that you know where it is at all times.
In choosing your room, avoid those too near from exits. Criminals always look for an easy access way out.
Never open your hotel door without looking at the peephole first. Do not open if you do not know the person and if you are not expecting a visitor. If it looks a hotel personnel and you did not called for it, call the hotel information immediately.
Never invite strangers or acquaintance you just met to your room. Transact your business outside your room, meet them in public places such as restaurants. Criminals used to be in disguise as nice persons.
Be careful with unwantedcalls on your cellular phones. Do not let your travel ruined by these calls or protect yourself from harassment calls from anonymous callers by using cellular phone filtering service that screen or block callers easily.You can have the service done as part of your travel preparation plan.
Protect your Valuables
Keep your important things secure inside the hotel, valuables can be kept in a safety deposit of your hotel.
When leaving the hotel, do not leave a laptop or other tech gadgets lying on the bed or in the room. Properly close them and put it inside the luggage bag.
A laptop is recommended to have a password protection and only bring important computer files on the laptop while travelling. Back-up and just leave other data back home.
Protect yourself in Public Places
Tourist attractions are the main target of thefts since tourists are not familiar with the place and its people. Make sure that you protect yourself even inside the hotel room.
1. Be alert on people who will get your attention by distracting you with questions. Thefts do not usually go alone, they work as a group. You are distracted by one, others will try to get your wallet or bag.
2. Crowded places or in public transportation such as buses, trains, and subways are also prone to pickpockets. Keep your bag close to your body and be alert to those who jostle you.
3. Bring the bulk of your cash on an internal pouch and just allot small amount for petty expenses.
4. Protect your valuables especially if you bringing laptop, camera, and other valuable things outside.
5. Be aware of the motorcycle or bicycles passing behind.
6. Do not make yourself an easy target, here are some of the people you should be aware of :
- People who are around you while you are in a bank or an ATM machine.
- Sitting in parked cars and they are looking at your direction.
- Loiterers in public places such as in parking lots, alleyways, and doorways.
Avoid dangerous places where you can be easily attacked:
- Isolated and badly lit ATM machines.
- Isolated streets,. Elevators, rest rooms, laundromats, building exit area especially at night.