Nowadays the need for translation services plays an important role in construction and architecture industry.
All participants in the construction business such as construction developers, architects, engineers, investors and general contractors need professional and accurate translation services.
Language translations are required for all types of construction documents.
Construction documents include building plans and drawings, specifications and any supporting documents created or accessed during the completion of a building project.
Building plans and all relevant architectural, structural, mechanical, plumbing and electrical drawings are the industry standard documents used to outline the project.
Specification manuals cover materials and methods to be used when constructing the project.
Today outsourcing is a common practice in the construction business. The US and Europe are looking for locations where skilled architects can prepare all the necessary documents that are required. But this trend raises the need for the design information to be translated into the native language of the architect or a universal language like English and later to be translated back to the original language.
A UK developer needs a building plan for a construction project to be executed in France and hires a Spanish architect.
The information required for preparing the plan must be delivered to the architect in English and/or Spanish. The architect must also receive the guidelines of the local government authorities in France for making the structural design. Those guidelines will be available in the French language and therefore need to be translated into English and/or Spanish.
Design documents must be submitted by the architect to the developer/owner for approval as the project is being constructed. In some cases, documents might be changed in some manner by the owner or architect. These written changes will become an official part of the construction document set.
All the aforementioned requires that through the designing process, all documents to be available in English and Spanish languages. Once the completed set of building plans is ready to be submitted for review by the local government authorities in France, all documents must be translated into French language.
Incomplete or incorrect translations at this stage might result in developer not obtaining a building permit. Translation services providers can assist construction developers in precisely filing a building permit application form in cases where it is to be filed in a different country.
Large industrial construction projects require the involvement of many professionals through the design process. A team might include architects, civil engineers, mechanical, electrical, structural, fire protection engineers, surveyors, interior designers and more. It is possible that the team is assembled by specialists from different countries, hence again the importance of translation services.
Once the design process is complete, the construction project is ready to be sent out for bids. Construction developers produce a list of requirements for a project, giving an overall view of the project’s goals and start an open call for tenders. At this stage it is possible that face-to-face tender negotiations be conducted with potential contractors; in certain cases this will require the need of using a professional interpreting services provider.
A translation company should
1) translate the tender documents into the language of the general contractor;
2) understand the requirements and precisely prepare the bid response;
3) back-translate the bid response into the language of the construction developer that published the tender.
Developers select and sign construction contracts with the appropriate contractor. Often, it is not just one contractor, but a consortium of several contractors working together. The construction contract is a legally binding agreement between parties on the details and cost of a construction project. The contract must be available in the native languages of all parties involved.
Construction documents provide comprehensive instructions to the contractor/contractors as to how the project shall be constructed. All documents shall be available in language/languages that can be understood by contractor/contractors.
Large-scale construction projects often requite external financing and complex financial management. Mortgage bankers, accountants and cost engineers are likely participants in creating an overall plan for the financial management of the building construction project. All financial documents shall be precisely translated and available in all possible languages in order to reach and attract a large scope of potential investors.
The need for professional language translations services for all participants in the construction industry can be best met by a translation company that:
- -> Has a proven track record of completed technical translation and interpreting services projects for international companies in the building and construction industry.
- -> Hires an in-house pool of industry-specific translators and interpreters, with background in construction or architectural engineering and that has the knowledge and experience to respond to the needs of any architectural or construction company.
- -> Uses translators that have access to up-to-date industry specific dictionaries and glossaries and that are familiar with the terminology used in the construction industry. Construction business has its own unique terminology, and familiarity with the terminology is essential for accurate and consistent translations.
- -> Has an in-depth knowledge of legal concepts and terms. Translating documents for the construction industry does not solely require knowing industry-specific vocabulary. Legal terminology used in construction contracts, building permits and tenders can be complex. Experienced legal translators can ensure that no legal aspects are lost in translation.
- -> Has a team of professional financial translators. The construction business requires an understanding of financial management and investor relations in construction business.
- -> Hires structural engineering specialists that have the skills to ensure that every technical detail and every nuance of even the most complex and challenging texts is accurately translated into the required language.
- -> Has a Quality Assurance department, that will carry out in-depth quality control, assign a project manager to perform the project management and coordination and hire a technical engineers who to review the project on a regular basis.
- -> Has experience in working with construction design software: 3D, Computer Aided Design (CAD), Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) etc.
- -> Can work to tight deadlines for tenders and provide consistent and tailored professional language services even under strict deadline delivery terms.
If one were searching for an argument which would bly support the vital importance of good translation in the service of providing first class construction one would have to search no further than building the Tower of Babel. Imagine if those ancient architects had the access to professional language translation services when they were trying to build a tower to the heavens. Maybe history would have been different!