Where's The Beef? Taco Bell's Misleading Advertising Claims

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Taco Bell, the giant and immensely popular national taco franchise uses the word “beef” quite prominently in its advertising. They are proud of their pure beef stuffing and filling for their signature menu item — the Taco.  However, “er, there’s a problem Houston.”

The problem evidently is that there is so little beef in the side dish that the franchise is being sued by a private citizen with the assistance of an Alabama law firm for misleading adveritising claims better known as false advertising. The suit however, is not asking for financial compensation but simply truth in advertising disclosures to the public.  Please read what comes in your favorite little Mexican delicacy:

Water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder ,autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2 percent of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.”  So, once again the question remains to be answered, “where’s the beef?”

These ingredients make up a full 64 percent of the product while, oh yes, the remaining 36 percent is the beef. Well, not even that much.

According to the USDA, this still doesn’t qualify as “beef” at all, so packaging must of a necessity state “Taco Meat Filling” on its label. However, “there still remains a problem, Houston.” The USDA regulators say in order for food to be labeled as “Meat Taco Filling” there should be a 40 percent fresh meat content whereas the content in Taco Bell still only comes in with a 36 percent.

Taco Bell however, making its stand at the Alamo, vehemently denies wrong doing of any misleading advertising and insists that the meat mixture in their Tacos and Burritos consists of 88 percent real beef and not the alleged 36 percent. They will have their day in court with corporate lawyers to defend their Taco’s honor. (1)

Never to be outdone by another fast-food entity, McDonald Hamburgers have also been caught red-handed in making misleading advertising or false advertising claims as well. Take their pure, wholesome bread — it is definitely not pure bread at all.

Please read through the ingredients: “Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, enzymes), water, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, yeast, soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, wheat gluten, ammonium sulfate, ammonium chloride, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, datem, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated monoglycerides, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, guar gum, calcium peroxide, soy flour), calcium propionate and sodium propionate (preservatives), and soy lecithin.”  All of this in pure bread? This writer does not think so.

Their ingredients for their Mc-anything are as outrageous as the Taco Bell’s Tacos. Their chicken is neither good for the consumer nor even for this planet. Besides the poor chickens, extreme MSG use is another reason that McDonald’s should be avoided as surely as the plague.

Suffice to say that some of these fast-food chains are using ingredients that are not even grown from mother earth but are literally concocted behind the closed door of food industry laboratories.  Subsequent cases of misleading advertising should not be difficult to prove in court.

Clearly the public’s best way to protect itself against misleading advertising claims is simply to purchase whole, unprocessed foods and avoid this trash making a gradual transition to home made and home grown food.  Stay tuned for more little exposes by an ex-Taco Bell customer. (Well, actually KFC, Wendy’s and a few others as well.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sources:

(1) Taco Article. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/02/12/this-is-what-really-hides-in-taco-bells-beef.aspx

Written by Beverly Anne Sanchez, March 8, 2011

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply