When you want cheesecake,but not the calories,sugar,and fat that usually comes with it,here is your solution: a very dense cheesecake with a creamy texture that will satisfy your taste without disrupting your weight management efforts.
Ingredients for serving of 8 are (1) 4 cups fat free plain yogurt (2) 6 ounces dried apricot halves (3) 2 cups boiling water (4) Nonstick spray (5) 1 cup Great Grains Crunchy Pecan Cereal (6) 1/3 cup frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrated,thawed (7) 6 ounces fat free cream cheese,cut in chunks and softened (8) 2 large eggs,at room temperature (9) Grandulated sugar substitute equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar (10) 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (11) 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Line a colander or sieve with damp paper towels and place over a large bowl. Spoon the yogurt into colander and set it aside to drain for about 3 hours,or until 1 1/2 cups of liquid have drained from the yogurt.
2.Meanwhile,place the apricots in a medium bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let stand until softened,about 30 minutes.Drain and set aside.
3. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350F.
4. Spray the inside of an 8-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Place the cereal in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade and process until finely ground,about 30 seconds. Alternatively,place the cereal in a zipper plastic bag,squueze out all the air,and seal tightly. Using a heavy rolling pin or the bottom of a large,heavy saucepan,pulverize the cereal to the texture of fine meal,rotating the bag frequently so all the cereal is crushed. Pour the ground cereal into the sprayed springform pan. Rotate and tip the pan until the cereal coats the bottom and sides to form a crust.
5. Place the softened apricots and apple juice concentrate in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade or in a large blender and process or blend until fairly smooth,about 1 minute.
6. Add the cream cheese,eggs,egg white,sugar substitute,vanilla,and salt to the food processor or blender and process or blend until quite smooth,about 1 minute.Gently pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan,taking care not to disturb the crust.
7. Bake until firm and set but still a little jiggly,like a custard,about 1 hour. Place on a wire rack and cool to room temperature,about 1 hour. Cover tightly and refrigerate in the pan for at least 2 hours before serving.
8. To serve,release the latch on the pan and gently unmold the cake. Because the cake is moist,do not remove the pan bottom.Set the cake,still on pan bottom,on serving platter for slicing. Cheesecake can be stored in the refrigerator,covered,up to 3 days.