No matter what kind of home you live in or business you own, pests pose a large risk to your mental, physical and financial wellbeing! Rushing your choice of Melbourne pest control company for doing your termite inspections, termite treatments, pest inspections, pest extermination, or pest control service is a risk not worth taking. Once you know you have a pest problem that’s beyond your comfort zone, it’s time to get the facts and knowledge you need to avoid the chance of your pests settling-in for the long-term.
There are a lot of Melbourne pest control and extermination companies and it’s hard to know what to look for, who to talk to and what about. So, I’ve thought about and researched the most important tips that will greatly increase your chances of success. These tips will give you a good understanding of what you need to watch-out for and help you choose the best company for your specific needs.
Choosing a pest control company
1. Do your research so that you are able to clearly communicate what pest you have and the important details that will affect the success of any pest removal solution
2. Check with neighbours and friends in your area to see what pests they may have had and how they got rid of them. This may also enable you to check on the initial ideas and/or advice given by a potential pest control company
3. Search on-line for pest controllers in your area and carefully review the information on their Websites or social media pages like Face Book and You Tube. Do they have lots of information that confirms what you have read in this guide or do they keep recommending certain products or services without good supporting information
4. Always deal with a qualified pest control company that holds a valid licence to use pesticides in Victoria. Ask to see the licence and other credentials that they say they have
5. Don’t rush your decision as you will be paying for their professional knowledge as well as the correct practical application of any treatments or pesticides. Overall, look for a company who are happy to answer all your questions and freely share their experience and knowledge with you
6. Before signing any contract, be sure to fully understand the nature of the pest to be exterminated, the extent of the infestation and the work necessary to solve the problem
7. Find out if the pest control company has liability insurance to cover any damages to your house or furnishings during any necessary treatments
8. If a guarantee is given, know what it covers, how long it lasts, what you must do to keep it in force, and what kind of continuing control, prevention and management are necessary
9. Buy value, not price so beware of exterminators that offer bargains that sound too good to be true without clearly showing their value first
10. Ask if you can speak to past customers about their experience and the quality of the work that was done
11. It’s a good idea to have someone perform an assessment of your pest problem but find-out if there is a charge for it and if there is, does that charge come off the total charge for the actual pest removal work
So now that you have a better idea, you can take control of your pest problem knowing that you have the very best chance of removing your pests for good. If you need to talk to someone for more specific advice and guidance on Victorian pests, poisons and pest control programs, use the organisations below which should be able to help you.
Useful contacts & resources for Victoria
* For information, advice and questions you need answered about bites and stings, poison prevention advice, poisoning or suspected poisoning, along with mistakes with medicines contact the Victorian Poisons Information Centre on their telephone number: 13 11 26 – seven days per week, 24 hours per day
* Australian Environmental Pest Managers Association (AEPMA) Telephone: 1800 252 772 for information on pest management
* Department of Health Pest Control Program Telephone: 1300 887 090