Sushi tends to be healthy and nutritious because it is rich in Omega-3-fatty acids, low in fat and the vegetables contain vitamins. Try to make some sushi-rolls at home using the perfect sushi rice I present below.
Rule nr. 1. Always get same amount of rice and water. If you take 1 cup of rice you will need 1 cup of water and so on.
Rule nr. 2. If you cook rice often, you’d better buy an electric rice cooker.
For 2 people you will need:
1 large bowl
1 bamboo spoon
1 cup of rice
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of Japanese Rice vinegar
½ tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
How to wash the rice properly?
- Measure out the rice properly.
- Wash the rice in a big bowl.
- Take out skin or peel if there is any.
- Pour the water out, and wash the rice again. Repeat these steps until the water gets clean.
- Leave the bowl of rice for a half hour with some water in it. The rice will rise a little bit.
- Get a pan and put the rice in, cover with the right amount of water (see above).
How to cook the rice?
Put the pan in the medium flame until it starts to boil, than turn it to the highest flame for 1 minute. Cover your pan and do not uncover it until it’s finished. Boil in moderate flame for another 4-5 minutes. When it starts steaming leave your rice on the lowest flame for another 10 minutes. Turn off the stove after 10 minutes steaming and leave the pot for another 10 minutes covered. If you followed the instructions you must have a pot of sticky rice by now.
Making the sushi rice
- Open the pot and put it in a large wooden or glass bowl. Spread out the rice using a bamboo spoon.
- Heat the vinegar and mix with sugar and salt and add the mixture to the rice.
- Stir the mixture with large movements with the bamboo spoon.
- Cover the bowl with a wet clout.
This mixture will be a perfect start for a nigiri, temaki or makizushi.
How to make makizushi?
Makizushi (also called rolled sushi) is made by spreading some sushi rice on the top of a sheet of dried seaweed; than placing vegetables, fish and roll it up tightly.
- Cut all the veggies and fish into long, thin strips.
- Put some rice on dried seaweed (nori) and spread it out.
- Spread a small amount of wasabi on some rice.
- Place the veggies and fish on the top of the rice and roll it up using a bamboo mat.
Cut the roll into smaller bits.
JTB’s Illustrated Eating in Japan (Japan in your pocket series)