1. Mr. Kyut is poor; ___, his cousin Katey is rich.
a. therefore b. otherwise c. however
2. You’d better take a taxi cab ___, you wll be late.
a. Consequently b. In addition c. Otherwise
3. I very much enjoy going through this new daily magazine. ___, it has some good writings.
a. Moreover b. Nevertheless c. Consequently
4. Jimmy was not tired. ___, he only took a nap.
a. Therefore b. Hence c. Nevertheless
5. Paul was not thirsty at all; ___, he drank three glasses of water.
a. however b. moreover c. secondly
6. The kids of the class 5 did not study. ___, they failed the course of Mr. Kaile.
a. Therefore b. Nonetheless c. On the other hand
7. The weather of Bangladesh was terrible. ___, we decided to delay our trip to Dhaka.
a. Subsequently b. Besides c. Therefore
8. You must buy the tickets of IPL semi finals; ___, we won’t be able to see the play.
a. otherwise b. although c. besides
9. The occupants of this area is not very interesting. I like the house atmosphere, ___.
a. moreover b. thus c. though
10.We live in the same building under the same roof for almost 3 years; ___, we hardly see each other daily.
a. however b. therefore c. furthermore
11. He couldn’t earn sufficient amount of money to run his family. ___, his wife decided to get a job.
a. Moreover b. Therefore c. Although
12. This house is not big enough for us to live comfortably, and ___, it’s too much expensive.
a. furthermore b. hence c. although
13. _____ the literacy rate of City A increased dramatically in the first quarter, it decreased sharply in the second quarter.
a. Though b. Instead c. However
14. The commodity price soared ______ the share price plummeted.
a. After b. But c. Furthermore
15. You should work hard _______ you will fail to earn the PhD degree.
a. Hence b. Otherwise c. Though
16. ________ walking long distance, Mr. Leon was panting.
a. As a result of b. Becasue c. However
17. _____ terrible weather, the students could not reach school on time.
a. As c. Although d. Due to
18. The town was having difficulties in attaining growth, _____ the mass people was not satisfied at all.
a. Hence b. After c. Then
if you want to get a complete list of useful Linking words for IELTS, then you can find those in http://www.bukisa.com/articles/493886_ielts-linking-words-collection