IP or Internet Protocol address is the computers identity in web. Every computer has its Public IP and Private IP. Private IP is the computers personal IP address within the Local Area Connection (LAN). Every computer that connection has its own IP Address, example is 192.168.001.112. Public IP is an IP address that visible to user users in the internet. Computer attaches in the same local area connection or attach in one router only have one the same Public IP address, example 112.235.768.235.
This article will teach you on how to view your computer Private IP.
View your computers Private IP using Network Connection Properties;
- Click on Start
- Right click on “ My area Connection” for Windows XP or “Network: for Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Double click the “Local Area Connection” under LAN or High speed Internet
- Click on Support Tab
- You can now see your computer Private IP under the Connection Status.
For example this is my Computer Private IP was:
Address Type : Assigned by DHCP
IP Address : 192.168.001.112
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway : 192.168.001.001
6. You can also view other Network connection details, such as physical IP address, DHCP server, Lease Obtained, Lease expires, DNS Servers, and WINS server, just click the details TAB
If you cannot see or the IP address did not show in your Network Connection properties, there is another way of viewing your computer’s IP address by using you command prompt application. Here’s how;
How to view your computer Private IP address using command Prompt
- Go to Start
- Click Run and Type “cmd” or “command” without quotes for Windows XP
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, go to Start “ on Search files and Programs type “cmd” or “command” without quotes
- Type the word “ipconfig” without quotes and without space, one word only and hit Enter in your keyboard
- Command will look like this;
- C:\Documents and Settings\Username\ipconfig
3. After you Enter the Command will show you like this;
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.108
Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Default Gateway is the routers IP address, usually the default gate way was 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. It depends in the brand of the router that you are using. While DNS or Domain Name System is the system that translates internet address into numerical machine address that your computer uses.