Thiruvalluvar, a poet sage who lived in South India two thousand years ago, wrote in his Thirukkural that there is no need of any medicine if what one eats is digested and properly eliminated. He says that constipation is the one of the major root causes for many diseases. According to the ancient medicine system Ayurveda, bowel movement is as important as air, food and water.
The medical world defines constipation as a problem of having a bowel movement fewer than three times per week. Constipation makes stools usually hard, dry, small in size, and difficult to expel. Ayurveda and Siddha suggest many home remedies for constipation.
Though there are plenty of home remedies for constipation only a few are listed here.
1) Ayurveda considers elimination of toxins from the body is an important part of treatment. It suggests castor (Ricinus communis) or Castor oil as an effective purgative. This treatment has no side effects. It can be taken safely, irrespective of the physiology of the patient and the climatic conditions.
2) Ayurveda suggests healthy habits for a healthy body and proper digestion. There is no need for any worry about health when digestion is perfect. Practicing regular toilet schedule will save you so many health hazards.
3) A powder called Triphala Choorna is the most effective remedy of Ayurveda. It is available in Ayurveda pharmacies. It can be prepared at home also. It is a powder obtained from equal quantity of three dried fruits. First, dry the fruits amla (Indian gooseberry), haritika (chebulic myrobalan) and bibhitaki (belleric myrobalan). Then grind the dried fruits separately and mix equal quantity of these powders in warm water and use it regularly until the problem is solved. It is good for digestion and has no side effect. Hence you can use it without any fear.
4) Bael fruit (Aegle marmelos) is an effective laxative. The ripe fruit can be used as a squash drink. It dissolves the toxins of the intestines and expels them out of the body.
5) Most of the people find drinking a glass of warm milk before going to bed relieve them from constipation. If there is severe constipation, mix two teaspoons of castor oil in the milk.
6) Water is very important in keeping the intestines work well. Drinking lemon juice mixed with warm water two to three times a day has been effective to overcome constipation. Drinking warm water (at least one liter) in the early morning is also effective.
7) The pulp from the cassia fruits, also called Chinese cinnamon, is a well-known laxative, and is used in the treatment of constipation. It can be safely taken even by children and pregnant women. Soak about 50 grams of the pulp in water overnight, strain it in the morning and take with 25 grams of sugar. (Botanical name cassia fistula and belongs to Leguminosae family. This is called Kundalini in Sanskrit and Konnai in Tamil. It has many varieties.)
8) Diet plays a vital part in relieving constipation. Add plenty of fiber-rich fruits, vegetables and salads in your diet. Chew your food thoroughly so as to mix it well with saliva. Eat only when you are hungry. Try to avoid beans, legumes, grams, cabbages, mushrooms and such foods for your night dinner since they are difficult for digestion.
9) The modern sedentary lifestyle is the main reason for many diseases. Exercises help to solve constipation. There are many yoga exercises that can save one from constipation. Walking at least 30 minutes in the evening or morning is one of the best exercises to relieve constipation.
10) Ayurveda suggests application of three kinds of treatments for constipation. Besides giving internal medicines, Vashthi Karma or enema therapy, Virechana Karma or purgation therapy and massage therapy are applied for treating constipation. They are easy and can be practiced at home. Enema therapy injects warm water through the anus to clear the colon. Purgation therapy is taking purging oils like castor oil. Massage therapy is massaging of the abdominal muscles to activate the bowel movement to dispel the waste.
ayushveda.com – The Free Ayurvedic Encyclopedia