Having decorative cushion covers to add a touch of hominess in your living room and bedrooms will make a lot of difference for your home. Cushion covers can be considered as symbol of elegance that gives a right touch of stylishness. You can have cushion covers for your pillow, sofas, bed and divans, made from different fabrics like cotton, silk or even leather. Synthetic materials are also popular since they are easy to wash and dry.
The materials for cushion cover should generally match the different fabrics being used in a specific area. The designs also vary and will depend on the general theme of the room’s décor. Choices are limitless from nature inspired, to religious symbols as well as geometric outlines. The variety of colors can be matched with intricate ornaments like beads, embroidery, patches, transfer designs and a lot more. The aim is to arrive with something unique and ornate but definitely, the superb workmanship of the cushion covers is more important.
The early silk cushion covers were noted in ancient China more than 3,000 years ago. The tradition of making silk cushion covers improved as dynasties changed from one to the next. The succeeding centuries saw the creation of multifaceted designs and images as needlecraft workers became highly skilled with their crafts. The inspiration for the designs such as animals, flowers, water and birds remained traditional but very eye-catching.
Cushion covers coming from Thailand are mostly influenced by China and India since needlecraft technology originated from these two countries. Variations transpired as the craft was later on transferred from one generation to another. Cushion covers from Thailand are typically made of silk materials.
However, if you are interested in making your own cushion covers, there is no harm in trying. You will need the following materials: cushion pad, fabric, piping, scissors, thread, sewing machine, straight pins, tape measure and zipper.
1. You can start by measuring and cutting the top and bottom cushion pieces, the front and back cushion bands and piping.
2. Use a pin and sew the piping starting with the right side of the cushion cover’s top piece. Make sure that the piping seam is aligned with the cushion’s seam allowance. If you turn the cushion right side out, the piping will be exposed.
3. Now clip the seam to one of the end of the piping. To meet and slip the piping fabric’s loose end together, the cord ends in the piping should be cut.
4. Continue sewing the piping to the cushion. The same procedure applies to bottom cushion cover.
5. Going to the back cushion band, press into half lengthwise two of the three bands that you will prepare. It is now time to sew the zipper by connecting the two bands of your folded fabric. You can now sew the front and back cushion bands together. The two ends of the front band must overlap with the back zipper of cushion band.
6. Sew the cushion band with the top and bottom portion of cushion cover. Be sure to clip the allowances you made with the seam at each corner before turning.
7. Your cushion cover is now all done and you can already insert the cushion pad and zip.
Creating your own home accessories and adornment can give you lots of satisfaction. It can be flattering to hear somebody praising things around your house that you made yourself. Of course, it makes you even more proud even if they’re just cushion covers.