Mother’s Status In Islam
All praise is for Allaah and peace and blessings be upon the Prophet Muhammad SAW.
After Allaah and His Messenger, the most beloved and respected person to any Muslim should be his Mother.
Allaah has given the mother such status that Rasulullaah SAW says: (mafhum) “Paradise lies under the feet of mothers.”
Obedience and respect towards your mother is a very important duty in Islam and is similar to performing Salat and keeping fast. To hurt your mother in any way is the second biggest sin and those who commit this evil sin will be harshly punished by Allaah in the Hereafter or maybe even in this world.
Your mother is not a Prophet, nor is she an angel. She is just a human being like you. So why has Allaah ordered you to be obedient towards your mother, and why does your mother have such a high status in Islam?
Allaah loves and cares for us more than anybody else, and he especially loves those people who love and care for others. Similarly, Allaah’s Wrath fall upon those people who hurt other people in any way? Allaah the All-Knowing knows that in this world nobody is more loving and caring towards another person than the way that a mother is towards her child. Only Allaah and Rasulullaah SAW love you more than your mother!
Only Allaah knows what your mother does for you. Allaah sees your mother feeling pain whilst she tries to give you whatever you want. Allaah sees your motherâ€™s love and kindness. Pleased by your mother’s actions, Allaah has given her a very high status and many virtues and rewards. Allaah also sees that many of us are not thankful to our mothers. Allaah sees many of us being disobedient towards our mothers.
Therefore, Allaah has ordered us to be good towards our mothers. Allaah has not advised us; but Allaah has ordered us! We have no choice; therefore we have to be good towards our mothers.
To encourage us to do this, Allaah has promised Paradise for those of us who are obedient towards our mothers.
At the same time, Allaah has threatened to severely punish those of us who do not listen to our mothers, or hurt them in any way.
But what does your mother do for you?
She only cooks and cleans?
What – just that???
So why do you need to be thankful to your Mother?
Apart from Allaah, nobody knows what our mother really does for us.
TEN REASONS FOR BEING THANKFUL TO YOUR MOTHER:
1. Your mother carried you in her womb for nine months bearing pain upon pain.
2. During this time, she could not eat nor sleep – because of you.
3. When you were a baby, and then a child, she spent every minute of her life looking after you.
4. She only slept when you slept. She only ate after you had eaten.
5. She was patient and loved you even when you cried all night; when you cried all day.
6. She taught you how to walk; how to speak; how to eat; how to live.
7. When you fall ill, she looks after you.
8. She always cooks and prepares food for you..
9. She buys you the things you ask for.
10. She will always love you, no matter what you do.
These are just a few things that our mothers do for us. They do so much more; more things we do not know about. And one thing that your Mother does for you, that nobody else in the world does, is that she worries about you from the bottom of her heart.
SO WHAT ARE THE THINGS SHE WORRIES ABOUT?
1. She worries about your food.
2. She worries about your clothes.
3. She worries about your health.
4. She worries about your education.
5. She worries about your future.
6. She worries about your whole life.
Allaah has ordered us, in various places of the Holy Qur’aan, to be good to our mothers. Allaah has told us to look after them even more when they are old and weak. Allaah has taught us to be gentle to our mothers and speak to them in a nice manner.
Allaah has also told us to supplicate to Him for our mothers with this prayer: “Rabbir-Hamhuma Kama Rabbayani Sagheerah.” (“My Lord – have Mercy upon my parents; the way they had Mercy upon me when I was young.”)
The Prophet Muhammad SAW has also ordered us to be good to our mothers. The Prophet SAW has told us about the great rewards for that person who is good to his mother. He (SAW) has described the mother as being a ‘Door of Paradise’.
Rasulullaah SAW has also warned us of severe punishments for that person who is disobedient to his mother.
TEN EASY WAYS TO ENTER PARADISE
1. Listen to your mother.
2. Help your mother.
3. Smile at your mother.
4. Be thankful to your mother for whatever she does for you.
5. Spend time with your mother.
6. Always ask your mother if you can help her with anything.
7. Buy your mother gifts.
8. Be good to your mother’s family and friends.
9. Lead a good and exemplary life so that your mother is happy.
10. Always make du’a for your mother, especially after every Salat.
THOSE WHO ARE DISOBEDIENT TO THEIR MOTHER WILL BURN IN THE FIRE OF JAHANNAM (HELL FIRE)
However hard we try, we can never repay our mothers for what they have done for us; but we can at least do as much as we can, and also ask Allaah to repay them for us. Our mothers are indeed a great blessing from Allaah. We should greatly appreciate and value this blessing. Whilst our mothers are alive, we have a golden opportunity to guarantee ourselves Paradise and also success in this world.
We will only truly realize the value and status of our mothers when they are no longer with us.