Microsoft Outlook has an ability to filter incoming messages based on the messages rules that you have created and apply into it. Rules can be set in Microsoft Outlook Rules and Alert Tools. You can customize your Microsoft Outlook Messages Rules based on how you want it.
To set-up message rules follow these steps;
- Open your Microsoft Outlook
- Navigate to Tools Menu
Rules and Alerts
- Click Create New Rule
- Select the Template you wanted, select 1 and configure it, Skip to Step 7.
- Here are some of the templates;
Under Stay organized:
- Move messages from someone to a folder
- Move messages with specific words in the subject to folder
- Move messages sent to a distribution list to a folder
- Delete a conversation
- Flag messages from someone for follow-up
- Move Microsoft InfoPath forms of a specific type to a folder
- Move items from specific RSS Feed to a folder
There are also other options under Stay Up to Date, or Start from a Blank Rule to create custom rules and click Next.
- To create custom rule select Check Messages when they arrive or check messages after sending under Start from a blank rule. Click Next.
- Select the conditions you want to apply.
You can select multiple conditions by checking the checkbox.
- Edit the rule description found in Rule step to at the bottom of the window. Click Next
- In the next window select what do you want to the message?
Set the rule description under the edit rule description part of the window. Click next.
- You can select the rule exceptions if you want, but it is not a required field.
- Specify the name of the rule.
- Select Set-up rule Options, there are two options there,
“Run this rule now on messages already in Inbox “to apply the rule on existing messages or
“Turn on this rule” to apply rule for the next or incoming messages.
- Click Finish.
You can add rule as many as you want as long as every rule did not affect each rule, to prevent Microsoft Outlook to confuse what to do in the specific messages.
Here is some Example of the Rules I created in my Outlook Express:
- Move Messages from John (someone) to a John Folder I created (folder)
- Messages which mark (high) importance moved to Immediate folder (specific folder)