Pet-Safe Cleaning

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Certain household cleaners may cause severe pain, illness or even death to pets that accidentally ingest or come into contact with high concentrations of these cleaners. Since avoiding housework is not an option, keep your pet safe by using natural cleaning products and cautiously using chemical household cleaners.

Natural Cleaning

  • Lemon– Protect your pets from floor cleaners and floor shining solutions that include harmful chemicals. Give your home a fresh smell and shine your floors naturally with lemon juice. You can also use lemon juice–instead of bleach or hydrogen peroxide–to whiten laundry.

  • Vinegar– Absorb odors without irritating your pets’—or your–sinuses and allergies by cleaning stinky items with vinegar. The vinegar will absorb foul odors and the sour scent of the vinegar will disappear on its own, within a few days.

  • Baking Soda– Stop storing bottles of clog busting chemicals and use baking soda—in addition to vinegar—to clean clogs out of your home’s pipes. Sprinkle baking soda on pet-stained carpet or in stinky shoes to absorb odors. Vacuum the powder after it sits on the carpet for a few hours.

  • Tea Tree Oil– Create an all-purpose, pet-safe cleaner by diluting tea tree oil in water. Pour the solution into a spray bottle and spray it on mold to kill mold that may be causing your pet to suffer breathing and allergy problems.  

Considerations

You can continue to use the cleaning products you already have, but you will need to take a few precautions to ensure your beloved pet does not accidentally consume or come into direct contact with the products.

  • Store chemical cleaners out of your pets’ reach, in cabinets or high on shelves.

  • Keep pets away from recently cleaned items until the item dries.

  • Remove pets or cleaned items from an area if pets begin to lick or attempt to eat cleaned items.

  • If your pet ingests any chemical cleaning products, seek veterinary care immediately. Take the cleaner along to help your vet treat your pet quickly.

Warning

Although borax is a natural product, it is still toxic if ingested. Never use borax to clean surfaces and items your pets have access to.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply