Las Vegas-Hoover Dam tours come in all shapes and sizes. Bus, helicopter, and airplane. Take your pick. Each offers a great way to experience this western icon while in Vegas.
The dam is found a mere 45 minutes from Las Vegas. The arch-gravity structure has been holding back the Colorado River for more than 75 years. Nothing about the Dam is diminutive, either. Check out these factoids:
1. It’s 726.4-feet tall, which makes it the 2nd tallest dam in the U.S. behind the Grand Coulee in Washington state.
2. It’s length is 1,244 feet. The dam crosses formidable Black Canyon and connects Nevada with Arizona.
3. It’s 660-feet thick. Prior to the opening of the Mike O’Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge in Oct. 2010, the top of the bridge was a two-lane road on which 13,000 to 16,000 cars crossed daily. How popular is the dam? Upwards of 10 million travelers see it each year via bus, airplane, and helicopter.
By far the most economical way to see Hoover Dam is by bus. Trips include hotel pick up and drop off and lunch. Coaches follow a route that takes you through Henderson and Boulder City, two suburbs of Vegas, before skirting Lake Mead and making the descent into Black Canyon. Now starts your Hoover Dam tour, which may include:
1. Strolling atop the dam from Nevada to Arizona.
2. The official Park Service Government’s V.I.P. Discovery Tour, which lets you explore the dam from top to the bottom where the turbine generators are busy at work.
3. Full access to explore the Visitor’s Center’s fabulous exhibits, observation deck, and movie room.
Consider adding a helicopter, plane ride or a boat cruise on Lake Mead to your bus trip package. Be ready to spend about 3.5 hours taking the basic Hoover Dam bus trip.
Helicopter and airplane air tours are also available. Flights leave from Las Vegas every day of the year. The flight plan includes Lake Mead and Hoover Dam. Choppers fly at a lower altitude than planes, which route themselves past Hoover Dam as they make they’re way to the Grand Canyon. Trip duration lasts between 3.5 hours and 5.5 hours. Free shuttle service to and from you Las Vegas Strip hotel is included in all air packages.
I strongly recommend that you reserve your Hoover Dam tour in advance. There are two reasons for this: 1) It’s cheaper; and 2) you’re guaranteed to get a seat. For the cheapest prices, I strongly recommend you purchase your tour online. Sometimes its best to buy directly from the tour operator. I agree that it sounds somewhat odd but in many cases the company running the trip will offer it on the Web at a ridiculously low price.
Hoover Dam tours are fantastic for travelers looking for a quick day trip from the Las Vegas Strip. No matter what your budget, there’s something for everyone. The most economical are bus tours Helicopters are perfect for getting a true bird’s eye view of the dam. Airplane tours include the dam as part of the flight to the West Rim. Hoover Dam’s been getting rave reviews from travelers for years. View it airborne or by foot – you will not be disappointed.