Always be aware of the electrical hazards that can happen in your home! Every year, thousands of fires result from surge protectors, power strips and electrical cords. Advanced Electrical Services has a few safety tips for you to keep your family safe!
Use only surge protectors or power strips that have an internal circuit breaker- these units will trip the breaker if the power strip is overloaded or shorted to prevent overheating. Surge protectors, power strips or extension cords are not a substitute for permanent wiring. Make sure they are UL or ETL Certified.
Its smart to replace your surge protectors yearly. Never put a surge protector or power strip where the unit will be covered with carpet, furniture or anything that will limit air circulation. Never staple, tack or tape a surge protector. Make sure to check all surge protectors on a regular basis to make sure they are not damaged in anyway.
Any surge protector or power strip that does not have an internal circuit breaker, has frayed wires, or has a unit that is not working properly, must be replaced immediately! Never plug a surge protector or power strip into an existing surge protector or power strip. This is called “daisy chaining” or “piggy backing” and can lead to serious electrical problems! When the surge protector is not in use- make sure to unplug it. Never get a surge protector wet! You could be electrocuted!
Wouldn’t a surge protector that protects the entire house be a better solution? Of course it would! Several manufacturers make whole-house surge protectors. This type of protector is installed close to the electrical panel, and it’s a job that should be done only by a qualified electrician. it suppresses surges not only on the power lines, but also surges that come into the home on the cable and telephone lines. Just remember it only takes a few seconds to lose alot of expensive high quality equipment!
At Advanced Electric Services, we are happy to assist you with any questions concerning surge protectors or any various electrical questions you may have. Please contact us at 402-932-1361.