The following steps walk you through adding sections to a report. Though there arc many uses for additional sections, these steps show how to add sections for use with an invoice or letter type report. Apply these same basic steps to add sections for charts, maps, pictures, or anything else that you want to underlay or need in its own section so that you can apply specific formatting.
1. Open the Section Expert using Format, Section or the toolbar button.
2. Using the Section Expert, add three Group Header sections by selecting the Group Header section and clicking the Insert button three times. Click OK to close the Section Expert.
3. Go to the Design tab of your report and insert the name and address fields as shown in Figure. I added Customer Name to Group Header la; Address 1 to Group Header Ib; Address 2 to Group Header Ic; and City, Region, and Postal Code to Group Header Id.
4. Using the Section Expert, click the Suppress Blank Section check box for the Group Header Ib and Group Header Ic sections.
5. Click OK to close the Section Expert. Now when you preview your report, both one-line and two-line addresses print with no inconsistencies in spacing.
These few sections have provided a couple of examples of the flexibility and options available to you when using the Section Expert. Like with the field Format Editor, you can use the Conditional Formula buttons to write formulas that control formatting options based on conditions in the report. Using options in the Format Editor and Section Expert, as well as conditional formulas, you can give your reports style while also making them more useful and easier to read.