Tuesday, December 12

Egyptian Protest 25Th January – 30Th January Week One

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Day One January 25th 2011 Tuesday 


 Thousands of friendly people came together to rise up against a dictatorship led by President Mubarak who has led Egypt since 1981. Everyone in 1981 trusted him to lead the country after serving in the military for a long period and reaching promotion level of Egyptian Air Chief Marshal.

 During his 30 years of  Power he has served the Egyptian people well up until recent years, he had strengthened the economy and made himself very rich in the process off the backs of the Egyptian people. 24 Million of 78 Million people survive on $2 a day and the next level of society not much more than that. The Egyptian people rose up for better working conditions, pay and freedom. Egypt became a wealthy country under Mubarak’s 30 years of power mostly because of the Suez Canal which was being used as a transport lane for oil ships, and cargo ships in fact 70% of the worlds trade travels through this canal at some stage during the year. Egypt’s second best money maker was tourism to the country because of the pyramids and the excavation projects and artifacts that were on show in Cairo. Artifacts that in 7 days from now get stolen from a museum, which the same museum in 8 days from now becomes a military base for the Egyptian Army. The third biggest money maker in the country is the smuggling tunnels from Egypt to Gaza, during the past few years during the recent conflict between Israel and Gaza, I would imagine the Government made a healthy sum for turning a blind eye.

 The Egyptian Government had been getting rich because ” with power comes great responsibility ” but over 30 years when your country is flourishing and you have your hand in so many companies on the rise, the choices you make as a president turns over millions for you every year. Would you be tempted, the good leaders would say yes, the loyal leaders that have the nation in mind would say no.


 On Day One the peaceful protest took to the streets of the capital Cairo and the second largest city Alexandria by the thousands. The anti-Government enraged protest marched to the centre of the cities where they collided with police forces that were caught on camera running over protesters in a van. The clashes with the police saw two protesters and one police man dead. The death of the protesters sparked even more rage against the president. One of the deaths of the protesters was televised all around the world which brought huge global interest. Thousands of supporters became 100s of thousands within hours when they seen how their fellow Egyptians were being treated by their president and the police.

Day Two January 26th 2011 Wednesday


On Day TwoDue to the numbers of protesters that came together the day before, the second day saw a bigger turn out on both the protesters side and the police side in many other cities across Egypt. Egypt’s police force was under pressure to keep control of the protester’s and stop them from getting out of hand. Hundreds of thousands showed up and some were even carrying Tunisian flags to let their government know where they got their inspiration from. By doing this and chanting that ” Presedent Mubarak ” leave and ” to step down and take his government with him”, let the president know that the people wanted him out. President Mubarak refused to give in to the protesters that called for him to resign.

 Police forces were stepped up to gain control of the streets, the they were teamed up with the undercover police, the secret police and if needed the army were on standby. Tear Gas was used to disperse crowds that progressed towards government buildings, clashes between protesters and police became violent, war began between police and protesters. 100s of people from both sides got injured in the clashes and a further two protesters and a policeman got killed, bringing the death count to six.


Plans were set in motion to draw the biggest support for the protesters on Friday, two days from now. Text messages, Emails and phone calls were sent by the thousands all around Egypt to support the “March of Millions” that would take to the streets of Cairo and Alexandria.

On the second day of the protest police opened fire on the crowds that were over whelming the police, live ammunition, rubber bullets and tear gas was being used seeing many other protesters getting injured. What started off as a peaceful protest turned into a war against police on the streets of Cairo, Alexandria and Suez. Protesters in Suez forced police to retreat and burned down their police stations and then looting ensued. With all the shops closed down there was no security forces to prevent people from breaking into shops and other buildings.

Day Three 27th January 2011 Thursday

Thursday saw a massive drop in protesters which led police and government to think maybe that was it but word got out that tomorrow would see the march of millions on the streets of Alexandria and Cairo police and the army were on high alert. International leaders flooded President Mubarak with calls asking him to control the violence and killings of protesters. Mubarak ignored the calls from his people to stand down and ignored the calls from foreign leaders to give in.    


Mubarak was having talks with his army officials on how they are going to police the biggest up-rise in the world that was coming first thing in the morning. The plan was set the army and police would set up road blocks entering the cities at the early hours of the morning to prevent protesters from advancing to the centre of the city. People came from miles around by what ever means they could, and they came by the thousands. The Muslim Brotherhood offered support which saw 120 of their members being arrested during the day from violent clashes in Suez. Later on in the day there was another protester shot dead by the police fueling the anger for the millions that were advancing on the cities.


Imagine your country on shutdown, everywhere is closed and the streets are filled with angry protesters all communications are down, text messages, phone calls and the Internet are gone. If you needed a doctor or an ambulance or even a taxi to get to a hospital you would not be able to do so. The banks were shut down, ATM machines were all turned off so nobody could get money out or even get to their money, all shops were closed so you couldn’t buy anything that you needed anyway.


People armed with sticks and knives policed the streets during the night to prevent looters from stealing everything they had. The Egyptian people were desperate there were mobs going around using the protest as cover just breaking into places and taking everything they could get their hands on. This behaviour was sparked because the police just left them too it, the police just vanished off the streets in almost every city in Egypt which resulted in complete and mass panic. Within three days the protesters crippled the country and their leader was up against a wall and still defiant to leave or give up power.

Day Four 28th January 2011 Friday


The March Of Millions begins hundreds of thousands of people advance through the cities as a massive peaceful protest despite the lack of communication over the last day. Anger filled the thousands of protesters in Tahrir Square in Cairo as police fired tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons into the crowds that challenged authority. Tanks were brought in to try and keep control of the angry crowd.



In Suez protesters stormed the police station and set free all the arrested protesters from the past few days, they then torched the place and a nearby police station. Protesters also gained control of some government buildings and looted them and then set them on fire.


A 6pm – 7am curfew was imposed by the government and the army were called in to assist the police in trying to gain control of the cities and enforce the curfew. The protesters refused to follow the curfew and set up camp in Tahrir Square defiant to get Mubarak out of power. As the sun went down there were 100s of protesters injured and it was unknown how many were dead. Protesters stopped for evening prayer as the police continued to fire tear gas into the crowds. Later on that evening the protesters burned down one of the National Democratic Party Headquarters buildings in Cairo.  


Day Five 29 January 2011 Saturday

The night before was a quieter night compared to the previous nights, less reports of looting and clashes with police were reported. Thousands of people still remained in Tahrir Square from the past few days, the protesters from the first day were still camped there by the hundreds. With a curfew imposed the protesters remained in the square. As day break came so did the protesters and the police and the army were not long behind them.


Children joined the protest but in certain areas the clashes with police were still very violent. By mid day the police had vanished yet again leaving protesters to fend for themselves.  Home and Business owners were left to police their possessions, gangs of them stood on every corner defending their shops and homes. The army were present on the streets but they were doing little to help people protect their properties, there are pictures of the army posing in photographs with the protesters as the stood on the army’s tanks chanting “the army are with us”.



With the army just sitting there and no sign of police to clash with the protesters seemed to be relatively calm. There were less injuries on the Saturday than there had been on previous days. Some protesters tried to storm the Ministry of Interior Building which saw three of them being shot dead by police. In the south of Cairo 17 men were killed when they tried to storm two police stations. Even though the centre of the city was peaceful and calm there were still pockets of protesters that went about the city causing destruction.


Talks had been going on behind the scenes where President Mubarak had fired his cabinet and formed a new one. Mubarak appointed a Vice President for the first time in his presidency, his trusted and powerful intelligence chief, Omar Suleiman was to become Vice President. Mubarak also asked Ahmed Shafik, the Civil Aviation Minister in the cabinet that just stepped down, to form a new government, state-run Nile TV reported. Shafik is a former Air Force officer with strong military connections and is well respected throughout the army.


The enraged crowds refused to accept this reshuffle in government and they cried for Mubarak and his government to leave again. Mubarak refused to give in and the international calls both privately and publicly flooded in yet again to ask him to step down, 82 year old Mubarak refused to give up his power. The violence and destruction continued into the night seeing even more barricades and government buildings going up in flames.


Day Six 2 30th January 2011 Sunday

For the forth day in a row the protesters refused to follow the curfew which was not enforced by police or the army. During the day the Army were setting up barricades around important building around Alexandria, Suez and Cairo to prevent looters from clearing them out. Vigil anti groups were yet again on high alert as the morning went on the protesters gathered even more enraged from the tricking of Mubarak towards the Egyptian people. Protester groups asked the people to show up in greater force than last Friday to up-rise against Mubarak’s plan to form a new government under his rule. The people felt like they were being made fools of by their government and refused to accept his new plans.

As the crowds gathered in Tahrir Square army helicopters and fighter jets flew overhead during the day as if to show might and try and scare the protesters into following the curfew. Protesters refused to give in and started to wave up at the jets and helicopters shouting for Mubarak to leave.



Violence continued throughout the day and the protesters refused to be pushed out of Tahrir Square by police, who tried to force the people out with tear gas and rubber bullets and water cannons. Behind the scenes and across the global stage leaders were calling for Mubarak to step down yet again, and again he refused. Refusing his people of a fair election and wanting his son to take over ruling Egypt just didn’t wash with the Egyptian people and Mubarak was beginning to realise this. In the light of his new revelations he knew he had to formulate a new strategy that would allow him to continue as President of Egypt.

The dialogue he gave to his staff to read out on his behalf stated that he would hold on to power until September and neither him or his son would run for the presidency. The Egyptian people knew that this was just another trick because all of his assets and company profits had been frozen, to give him time as president until September would give him the freedom to defrost his accounts and see him step down gracefully.


The protesters refused to give in and accept this offer because all week they have been wanting the immediate ejection of the president. The violence continued into the night and clashes with the police became more sever, what was to come in the following week sickened the whole world that were watching.


About Author

Leave A Reply